no A/C after changing heads

93 Mark VIII

did a head replacment over the weekend, and everything is working wonderfully... except the A/C.

It works, I can feel the compressor kick on. The only problem is that the main and floor vents do not open. When I run A/C MAX, it just comes out the defrost. Did I miss a vacuum line? What did I forget to plug back in?

I'm going to get a flashlight tonight and start looking, just wondering if anyone had ideas.

Thanks,
Brian

Tiny little black rubber line about 1/8" in diameter comes out from the firewall by the evaporator on the passenger side. Feeds back through and hooks up to a "Tee" or splitter of some sort behind the plenum. That is what provides the vaccuum to move all your A/C related doors.

Check that T connector as mentioned in the previous post first. When mine did this I found the line that feeds this T had been severed in behind the SC plenum, quite possibly when my son had the wiper motor replaced the garage may have pinched this vacuum line and it eventually cut right through it.

you guys rock!

Checked the T, started pulling on the long hose behind the plenum until I saw the end of it. Must have forgot that one :) so I hooked it up to the junction right below the wiper cowl.

Turned air on, still no go. Then followed the shortest line off the T. It was sitting behind the evap lines, but not going anywhere. I looked more closley and there was the end of a vacum line hiding in there. Pluged it in, and AHHHHHH we have air.

Thanks for the quick responses. This five minute fix would have taken me an hour since this car's vacum lines are all rigged up.

Brian

Air Conditioning Controls

This information saved me from taking my Bird to the shop @ $75 hr to find one loose hose. This Forum is great.

Back