Aluminum Pullies and Balancer Weights

fastsc92

Finally got around to installing my BHJ balancer and did a little comparison while I was at it. Also installed were stock sized aluminum pullies from Ryan Harris that I polished.

Stock Pullies

Alt. 8oz.
Water Pump 1lb 8oz
Crank 6lb 3oz
Balancer 4lb 11oz

Stock Sized Aluminum Pullies

Alt. less than 1oz
Water Pump 15oz
Crank 3lb 11oz
BHJ Balancer 7lb 1oz

Quite a Difference in weight,...too bad that BHJ weighs a ton

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Last edited:
lol, thanks, I'm just trying to show off the quality of Ryan's pullies as well as the weight savings ;)

:eek: Wow that's sweet! Me likey your engine. I've ordered a set of pulleys from him and can't wait til I get them and polish 'em up!

fastsc92 said:
Finally got around to installing my BHJ balancer and did a little comparison while I was at it. Also installed were stock sized aluminum pullies from Ryan Harris that I polished.

Stock Pullies

Alt. 8oz.
Water Pump 1lb 8oz
Crank 6lb 3oz
Balancer 4lb 11oz

Alt. less than 1oz
Water Pump 15oz
Crank 3lb 11oz
BHJ Balancer 7lb 1oz

Quite a Difference in weight,...too bad that BHJ weighs a ton

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

that motor looks tight!!! :D :D

fastsc92 said:

Alt. less than 1oz
Jason, I would recheck this weight it cannot be correct. It implies that the pulley weighs 1/8th the weight of a stocker and does not coincide with the weight Ryan posted a while back.

Paul

I am positive that the stock pulley weighed 8oz. However the new pulley was so light that it didn't get a reading on the scale I had. (1oz-15lb). If anything I'd say that its the only pulley in question, I feel the others have accurate weights.

What did he post as the weights in a previous post? I contacted him before I posted this thread and I believe that this is his newer style which is lighter than his underdrives and his old style.

Nice job on the polishing, looks great.

Nice IC, sell me one.....LOL.

Does your belt run in the middle of the water pump pulley. I have a few guys let me know that their belts tends to run near the rear(closer to driver) of pulley surface. Also your weights are pretty close to what I have here. The scale's we use may be the difference, each with their own set up. Did you have to use the alt spacer?

I have to thank you for emailing me to ask about posting the wieghts. I appreciate that.

The belt runs in the middle of the pulley and so far so good, flawless. I did have to use the spacer. I just put the new pulley and the stock pulley next to each other and the spacer was needed to give the same thickness. I think the only weight in question is the alt. pulley, but it did not get a reading on my scale. I'm sure its close to an oz., but its damn light.

Ryan A Harris said:
Nice job on the polishing, looks great.

Nice IC, sell me one.....LOL.

Does your belt run in the middle of the water pump pulley. I have a few guys let me know that their belts tends to run near the rear(closer to driver) of pulley surface. Also your weights are pretty close to what I have here. The scale's we use may be the difference, each with their own set up. Did you have to use the alt spacer?

I have to thank you for emailing me to ask about posting the wieghts. I appreciate that.

Ryan, I think my belt runs a little off-center of the waterpump pulley. I'll take a look the next time I get a chance.

only one tensioner is plastic since it was a replacment assembly from Ford. the others got new steel pullies.

fastsc92 said:
only one tensioner is plastic since it was a replacment assembly from Ford. the others got new steel pullies.

Never mind. Answered my own question.............

irar

Last edited:
Savings?

So if my math is correct, and it usually is. Using the weights given at the beginning of this post, if you add a BHJ balancer and install Ryans' alum. pullies, you get a net Savings of 16oz. (1lb) over all stock pullies. That Sucks!! Why on earth couldn't the BHJ have been made a little lighter? I haven't bought the alum. pullies yet. But, when I built my motor I was Afraid of the stock balancer. So, I installed a BHJ. Now I am finding out that I have added roughly two and a half POUNDS of rotating mass to the front of my engine. That blows!! In essence this both "SUCKS and BLOWS at the same time". I guess my only option is to ge these alum. pullies soon.

Ryan A Harris said:
That would be great Kurt, thank you.
I check this evening, and yes, the belt is riding closer to the engine than the front of the car. Not a big difference. I could measure the difference for you, but it won't be until Friday.

See thats weird to me. I had Rich Thompson tell me about this trouble at Carlisle. On some cars it in the middle, and then near the rear of the pulley on others. Could this be from the tolerances on each car, like the water pump, then the timing cover, the block as well. Most of my pullies that are out there now are from 1 run, so I don't think(it could be) its from making pullies at seprate times.

Does anyone re-use the steel disc thats behind the stock water pump pulley?

Any input from you guys would be great as to help fix up this little issue.

Ryan A Harris said:
See thats weird to me. I had Rich Thompson tell me about this trouble at Carlisle. On some cars it in the middle, and then near the rear of the pulley on others. Could this be from the tolerances on each car, like the water pump, then the timing cover, the block as well. Most of my pullies that are out there now are from 1 run, so I don't think(it could be) its from making pullies at seprate times.

Does anyone re-use the steel disc thats behind the stock water pump pulley?

Any input from you guys would be great as to help fix up this little issue.
I seem to recall that steel disc went between the heads of the mounting bolts and the pulley. So that's where the steel disc currently resides on my car. I guess the shaft of my waterpump could be slightly longer than stock, which would cause the belt to ride toward the rear of the pulley.

Kurt K said:
I seem to recall that steel disc went between the heads of the mounting bolts and the pulley. So that's where the steel disc currently resides on my car. I guess the shaft of my waterpump could be slightly longer than stock, which would cause the belt to ride toward the rear of the pulley.

I had thought I remembered the disc going between the pulley and the face of the mounting boss. Its been a long time since I have had a stock SC to look at that. I never even had considered that maybe the re-man water pump could also throw out the belt area.

Thanks Kurt

Back