Abs HELP... (i hate this car)

Falyniii

looks like my abs pump is bad. brake fluid was coming out of it from all over the place. i check auto zone and pep boys for a new one and found out that they cost almost $450 for a brand new one!! No way am i paying that. Im going to the junk yard to find another one. What cars have the same pump as ours? do the regular t-birds have the same pump as mine. I have a 1990 SC. thanks in advance for you help.

Regular birds don't have the loveable Teves system that your's and mine have......

You might get lucky and find one in a junk yard, but there are several for sale on the board right now....

Look in the Parts For Sale section...

One quick question (actually a few questions)....

Where exactly is the brake fluid coming from on the pump? Is it the reservoir? the lines? maybe the fitting at the accumulator? Do the brakes work? The reason I ask is that you may not really need a new hydraulic system....

i got mine from a lincoln in the junkyard works fine , i forget the year im thinking it was like a 92 or 93 continental or towncar, after i put the pump on i had to let it sit all night with the master cylinder full of fluid before it worked the air out and started to pump up pressure

Last edited:
i check the old pump, its looks like it was leaking from the thick cylinder on the bottom it doesnt appear to be leaking from the accumulator.

heres the story on how the breaks went. when i got the car last summer the brake light and anti lock would come on everytime i pressed the brake. but i paid it no mind. (very stupid i know) anyways it started seeming like the brakes were taking longer to stop so i check the brake fluid it was low. so i just added more. did that for the next 5 months. fluid got low just added more. then one day i hit the brake and nothing happened....yup all my fliud leaked out on the HIGHWAY :eek: after surving that horror story i went to the shop and they said my master cylinder was bad so they replaced it. Everything was fine for a month then i started seeing the brake and antilock light come on again. started adding fluid again... then BOOM no brakes AGAIN. back to the shop this time they say it need whole new system cause brake fluid is leaking out everywhere. and here is where i am today.

thanks for all u guys input. if i dont fix maybe somebody on here will buy it.

update

got a abs unit from a lincoln at the junk yard. Its fits but the "Lines" dont match up. Its different size holes in the master cylinder and the pump. what can i do? can i make my own line?

adjust the brake line?

can someone tell me how to adjust the size of the bolts on the brake line? I need one of them to be bigger to fit into the pump i got off the lincoln. I heard you can by an adapter to change the size. anybody know if thats safe? any other ideas? i was hoping we could just cut off the old bolt and put on a new one. will that work?

unclenick said:
Yep, I got one off a 93 LX V-8 T-bird. No problems here either :)
So, if I go hunting in the junk yard, I need to look at all T-birds, cougars, and lincolns?

All of the ones I have looked at so far had the regular power assisted brakes... :(

i looked all day yesterday

not one t bird had abs brakes on it. i found it on a lincoln town car.... but the brake lines done match up. so it seems like im still screwed.

brakelines

are the brake lines the same size ? the tube , i mean . if they are the same go get the nuts that go with the master and you will have to cut off the old and reflare them . just do some home work on it first . like , is there enough slack, and make sure you don't kink the lines if you do try it. find the flare tool for that type of flare. etc. etc. good luck . there are always options , think of as many as you can then pick one!!!

different lines

the line for the new pump (off old lincoln) has a Banjo bolt and a thick rubber tube. the old stock line was the regular metal flared type. but at least it looks like theres HOPE!!! :eek: thanks

just found a shop who has banjo adapters... hopefully that will work.

Last edited:
brake conversion

you guys must really love to screw around with the worst abs system ever intalled in a motor vehicle. I converted my SC to regular brakes--I got the vaccum booster from a '90 t-bird 3.8l n/a and the master cylinder and t-block from a crown vic. there are plenty of posts on here about how to do it. take my advice and save yourself about $2000 on an abs system that will NEVER work right.

sclovehater said:
you guys must really love to screw around with the worst abs system ever intalled in a motor vehicle. I converted my SC to regular brakes--I got the vaccum booster from a '90 t-bird 3.8l n/a and the master cylinder and t-block from a crown vic. there are plenty of posts on here about how to do it. take my advice and save yourself about $2000 on an abs system that will NEVER work right.

Funny really...... mine is still working... yes. perfectly :)

Frit

just stuck......

went to 3 or 4 parts stores yesterday and no body could give me and adaptor to fit my brake line. for a minute it actually looked like this story had an happy ending but now im not so sure.

here where im at...i attached pics below.

The pump i have is from lincoln it fits on my car but the connection for the line that runs from to the master cylinder id different. I was hoping i could just get and adaptor to make them match but it doesnt seem like thats going to happen. my next step is to go through the newspaper and hope to find someone that make custom brake lines in philadelphia. anybody have any ideas for making this work. the pics of the two lines are below. ones metal the other high pressure rubber. any suggestions....besides turn to conventional? thats my VERY LAST OPTION..

Attachments

• Line with banjo bolt.jpg
    Line with banjo bolt.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 49
  • line with banjo bolt2.jpg
    line with banjo bolt2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 28
  • original line.jpg
    original line.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 28
  • original line2.jpg
    original line2.jpg