Speedometer has heat strokes

walunsf

I have a problem with my speedometer when the interior temp reaches 120 degrees, it doesn't work at all. i have to wait until it cools off before it will work again. sounds like something electronic is acting up, probably a transistor. anyone have this problem too? any schematics for the speedometer?

Hey I got kinda the same problem! My spedo on my 94 doesnt work until I hit maby 35 maby 40mph. Then it shoots up. The speed is accurate after that. The only way it will move slowly is if I accelerate slowly. If I take of not fast but normal it has a 3 or 4 second stall and then it shoots up to what ever speed I am at which is usually 35 or 40. What is the Problem?

walunsf said:
mine stays on zero until the temp has dropped in the dash.

Sounds like your speedomter is probably in need of replacement unless you are good with a volt meter and working with electronics.

94SCOOP said:
Hey I got kinda the same problem! My spedo on my 94 doesnt work until I hit maby 35 maby 40mph. Then it shoots up. The speed is accurate after that. The only way it will move slowly is if I accelerate slowly. If I take of not fast but normal it has a 3 or 4 second stall and then it shoots up to what ever speed I am at which is usually 35 or 40. What is the Problem?

Your problem sounds like there is either tons of dust in your speedometer or the sticker with the part# on it has fallen in the way of the speedometer and just needs to be picked out.

Shane

i'm excellent with a multimeter and i have an AAS in electronics. just need some diagrams to see what the circuit looks like.

Well there you go then. The speedometer can be a royal pita to work with since it is so easy to break something on it and the way Ford put it together. Good luck.

Shane

I was thinking that maybe the speedometer face is warping in the extreme heat and pressing against the back of the needle, immobilizing it. It doesn't take much to stop that needle ... I had a similar problem with the custom gauge faces I had in my '89. Or it could be an electrical problem. It's hard to say.

Back