Chattanooga activities

Jason Parham

Ok I want to know where are the Chattanooga guys that are supposed to be scouting. Since the days are ticking away and we still havent decided on a date, how about lets just do the 2nd weekend in August, the 10th and 11th. We should have decided on a date several weeks ago if we were going to do it this month. As far as things to do, I propose the following:
1. We could caravan down some scenic hiways. Believe me, there's no shortage of them around there.
2. While riding around, make a stop up at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum ( I myself am a member). They have an operating steam locomotive and the trains run 7days a week this time of year. We could pose for a group pic next to a locomotive or a caboose or something.
3. After our last meet up there, those ribs at Sticky Fingers are a must do!
4. I suppose there is somewhere we could go for a swim in at Lake Nickajack. The SCCOSW recently had a pool party meet at Kelly Simons house and it looks like they had a blast.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Lets hear 'em! Times-a-tickin' boys!
Jason Parham
Tuscaloosa AL

Chatt Date

I agree...lets just go ahead and say Aug 10/11 if there is no overwhelming objection. Let's definately get the ball rolling on this.

Those activities sound pretty good. An excellent picture op would be of the cars lined up at a senic mountain overlook or something.

By the way....

On the subject of activities, I'm sure we'll be doing some tire shredding as well (I mean, did I really have to mention that :D ) Hopefully my engine wont clatter when I do a donut this time :rolleyes: . Unless there is a good place near the lake, I figure we could just use the Sam's parking lot againand its near the RR museum too. As far as scenic drives, US Hwy 11 goes up Lookout Mtn and gives a nice view of the city below, but I dont think there is much place to pull over and take a picture unless you go up to Rock City or something. I remember Chattanooga even has signs along some roads denoting scenic routes, but Im not sure which ones. Im proposing some names for the meet. Here are some ones I thought up with:

Chatt-II-nooga (since this is our second time there)
Choo Choo SCity
Rock SCity 2
Fire on the Mountian 2

Jason Parham
Tuscaloosa AL

Almost forgot

I remember reading how the SCCOSW packed 11 people in an SC at one of their meets awhile back. I believe it was on of the Tucumcari meets, but Im sure Glenn knows which one it was. They challenged anyone else to break their record. I think if we get enough people show up, we could give the record a shot. I think we could fit 12 in there, dont you guys? I wonder if the trunk counts?:rolleyes:
Jason Parham
89 XR7
Tuscaloosa AL

We need to start compiling a list of who is for sure coming, who could be coming and who is if the weather looks right and the stars are aligned might come. Is this going to be a weekend event, or just a one day event? Will people be bringing the better half and maybe children? Do we want this to be more car club oriented or club with family oriented?

Now about Sticker Fingers. Its been a while since I have been there but I am hearing that they either no longer have beef or pork, I can't find out which. They have also done away with their sampler rib plate. I think they had a lawsuit on them from a restaurant in the Carolina's that said SF stole their ideal.

Also from Nickajack to SF is about a good 45min to 1hr drive. If we wanted to grill out there is a great place up on Raccoon Mountain. I lived down by Nickajack for 25 years, and I have only swim there maybe 2 times. Not that the water is dirty, but its not the cleanest looking either. There is a good place up in Grundy County to swim.

There are some nice drives here, like from Dalton over to Ellijay down towards Dawsonville. There is a really great country type restaurant down on the square in Ellijay that has some of the best pies one has ever eaten. If some will shoot out some ideals that they might like to do, maybe we can pick the most wanted/doable and go from there.

Either post here or email me at newcoms@bellsouth.net

Last edited:
Not sure exactly how you can sue a resturaunt for having dry rub ribs. Ive seen bunches of people do the same thing at cookoffs. I hope what they dropped is beef, cause I dont see how you could have a BBQ style resturaunt without pork! This has raised my curiosity so I'll check on the web and see if I can find out whats going on there. Grilling out may be a good alternative anyway. Its more trouble but a lot of times it can be a lot more social, especially if the married folk bring the better half.
I'll start a new post for a headcount and see if we can get a consensus on stuff to do.
Jason Parham

I figured that we would be grilling out at a campsite rather than going to a restaurant. Aug 10-11 sounds Ok to me too.

Since I'd like to attend, can I cast a vote on things to do?

1. Meet up somewhere. Is there any specific meeting place or time? :)

2. Stuff people into an SC. Why not break the record.

3. Picnic lunch somewhere, like at the Lake. Maybe swim if it's not to nasty.

4. Scenic cruise with a stop at the TVRR museum. I'd really love to see it, and I know my little one would to. :)

5. Dinner somewhere. Ribs do sound good.

6. Burnouts, coffee, dessert, whatever. Just a chance to sit around and talk/BS. Maybe swim if someone there has a pool? :)

I just thought that might be a nice outline of what you guys already have planned. Take it easy.

Paul
AIM: Pablo7677
email: pvm7677@midsouth.rr.com

Just checked the RR schedule

I figure when we go up there it would be easier to go to the Grand Junction Station, which is just of State Route 153. Practically all the equipment on display is at this station anyway. For those of you who went the first time this is the same 4 lane highway that looks almost like an interstate next to the old Sam's. As a matter of fact, we'll pass by it on the way to the museum. Here are the departure times (EST) from Grand Junction for Saturday:
10:40 am
12:05 pm
1:15 pm
2:25 pm
3:35 pm

Tickets are $11.50 Adult, $5.75 Children (age 3-12)

A round trip is 6 miles total (3 each way) about 1:20 long and includes a restoration shop tour at the East Chattanooga and a turntable demonstration. I figure given the times we could snag one of the earlier trips and stop at Sam's for some asphalt signing on the way back.
A little bad news, I just recieved word that the steam locomotive has been out of service for the past few days. It seems a lubricator that pumps valve oil to the air compressor failed, and as a result, did a number on the compressor. They said the compressor was getting way too much blow by to operate properly and thus the engine would be down until repairs are made. Luckily the shop crew at TVRM is first rate, so hopefully they will get her steaming again by the 10th.
Chat--ta--noo--ga here I come,
Jason Parham

Good news

Just found out the steam engine got fixed. Not that would have been a terribly bad thing but the experience is just so much better. So if nothing else goes wrong there will be steam in the valley boys!!!

Last edited:
Back