bent axle housing

whitebird

92 sc..129k......had a rear left axle bearing replaced at a local shop,after repair heard a chirping sound coming out of the wheel,and more scraping,chirping when the brakes are applied,when i went to remove the alum wheel,,the lugs were torqued on,what seemed to be about 200ft#s each,i thought i had a warped rotor at this point and returned car to the shop,what it turned out to be is a out of aligned axle housing,causing run out of the entire assembly,my question is,could the excessive torque on the lug nuts cause this or what else would have caused the misalignment,during the wheel bearing repair,the shop has pretty well dug in that this was a condition before they worked on it,i say not,since there was no noise coming from that area before and the fact that the bearing took 129000,before it failed......can anyone help me here...thanks....len

At the wheel end they must mean the rear suspension knuckle. there isn't a housing as nothing is housed. It's just axle shafts, a knuckle, bearing, and hub.

What do they mean the housing is out of alignment? What is it that's rubbing on what? If they pressed the bearing in wrong, it can get cocked in the bore and that might lead to the hub not fitting in properly.

The knuckle is aluminum and the bearing is steel. If pressed improperly the bearing can be damaged or it can score the aluminum.

Back