Problems after DIC install

noonin86

Hi everyone, I am having trouble after installing a DIC and wrapping the lower IC tube. When you first start it up the vaccum sits around 18-20 but the rpms stay close to 1000, and when I put it in gear vaccum goes to about 15 and the rpms will drop to between 500-750.

After it warms up it gets really bad. The engine shakes really bad, vaccum sits at 15 in Park and goes close to 10 in drive, there's like a connsistent "popping" noise from the exhaust, rpms will drop and after a minute or so it will die.

I used the teflon gaskets all around and thought I tightened everything good. The only thing was the collar nut, while the upper tube was still screwed in to the nut both could be moved around a lot, It almost felt like the nut was going to come apart from the top. I wasn't sure about that. Any input is appreciated! It is a 95 Auto- Thanks

Mike

You have a vacuum leak. What did you seal the SC top with? Also the nut takes over 100 ft/lba to tighten. It's probably loose if it swiveled.

Jeff

Take a flat screw driver and a hammer. Tighten the nut by hand best you can, and then give it a few taps to snug it up. A spanner nut wrench works best, but you gotta improvise sometimes.

I had to use resort to using a hammer and screwdriver to tighten the nut. I got it as tight as I could. Now to check if anything else is leaking I spray carb cleaner around the area correct? And if the rpms go up that is where the leak is, would brake cleaner work?

Separate question, I was sitting in drive at BK last night and I revved to about 1500 then let off, but the rpms didn't drop back down until after like 10 or 15 seconds, like it got stuck or something. Would that be a result of a vaccum leak?

Thanks guys-

Mike

sc collar

The portion of the SC top that mates with the upper IC tube is a thin threaded sleeve. This little sleeve can come loose when you adjust the collar nut repeatedly. Pull the collar all the back and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can use a screw driver or whatever to get that bad boy tight, it has two notches to work with.
I had my collar super tight (with a spanner wrench) but the whole thing still moved; this was my problem. It could leak air if too loose.

Cheers
MB

Back