Missing under a load? no start?

LightEMup

My car has been actin kinda funky lately, if i were to put the tach at 2k in 3rd gear then give it half to 3/4 throttle it starts to sputter, it will pull then give out then pull, sounds like it's missing off a few pistons. It's got a fairly rough idle now, and also once in a great while my car will crank and crank and crank but not fire, then i let it sit for a while and it fires up. i thought it might be the fuel pump, so i replaced it but it still does it.....HMMMMM, any sugjestions?

Missing under load is usually always related to plugs and wires. The hard start is probably another problem.

Jeff

No but it could be RELATED to plugs and wires. If the plug wires are not all the way on the plug or coil pack then that could cause your problem.

jeff

here's my thoughts....cam sensor, plugs or wires or both....or bad coil pack....anything else it could be? i'd doubt it's a crank sensor, shift light goes out when it cranks. i swapped DIS moduels, so i know it's not that.

The crank problem could related to the cam sensor.

Ohm out the coil pack and see. There are 4 wires for the coil on the primary. 3 grounds and a power wire. So ohm between the power and each of the grounds. Should be very close in resistance.

On the secondary you will ohm between the towers each pair is seperate. They should be very close.

I doubt it's the coil pack, I would suspect a bad wire from rubbing against the manifold or another part, or the wires are not seated on the coil or plugs.

Since you just rebuilt the engine check the plugs anyway just to make sure something else is not going on like oil getting into a cylinder from somethig that wasn't put together quite right. No telling really without actually seeing it.

Jeff

how hard is it to do plugs on an SC? i looked under the hood and just about shat myself when i couldn't see any plugs lol. do i have to remove anything or do i just have to have a really super flexable ratchet extention?

I thought you rebuilt the engine? Short answer is it's easier to pull it up on ramps and go from underneath.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
I thought you rebuilt the engine? Short answer is it's easier to pull it up on ramps and go from underneath.

Jeff
i did rebuild the engine. but the wires were used i think

J57ltr said:
Do they have a date (year) on them? I would replace hem since you don't know their history.

Jeff
alright, so it's easier takin em out from underneith? or is that just plugs?

The plugs are easier. You can get the 2 & 3 from the top. Pass side is best done from bottom, along with #1.

Jeff

alright, i'll probably do em all together then, thanks so much for all your helpful information! much appreciated

Back