Exhaust

Qwk91sc

I just bought this SC and the exhaust is missing from the resonator back, And the resonator is falling apart inside and making noise (very annyoing) And I am trying to think of a way to fix this, I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to replace the resontor with an x-pipe and run 3" duals all the way back to some mufflers, but is 3" a little extreme for stock? I have plans for future mods and I don't want to spend the money twice on exhaust, please let me know what setup you recomend for best power and sound. let me know what to do in my situation, thank you

-Jeff-

in my opinion, that would be a very good idea. the resonator on these cars are very restrictive and if you are planning on doing future mods then opening up the exhaust is pry the first thing to do to prevent blown HG's.

Qwk91sc said:
I just bought this SC and the exhaust is missing from the resonator back, And the resonator is falling apart inside and making noise (very annyoing) And I am trying to think of a way to fix this, I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to replace the resontor with an x-pipe and run 3" duals all the way back to some mufflers, but is 3" a little extreme for stock? I have plans for future mods and I don't want to spend the money twice on exhaust, please let me know what setup you recomend for best power and sound. let me know what to do in my situation, thank you

-Jeff-

I haven't done any work with the exhaust yet, but I remember reading that just running a single 3" pipe is difficult with the earlier gas tank. A single 3" system (if I remember correctly) would be more than adequate for stock up to relatively modded.

SCP "Little Dawg"

Berserk said:
.....just running a single 3" pipe is difficult with the earlier gas tank.
You can get the SCP "Little Dawg" (3" center section) that fits the early gas tank.

The "best" X-pipe, is a 2-1-2 exhaust!

68COUGAR

So should I replave the resonater with an x pipe? If so which brand or style should I use? or should I reaplace the resonator with a 2 in and 2 out setup and run 2 pipes back? with mufflers or without? Thanks a lot

-Jeff-

If you don't mind a little resonation frmo 1800-2000 rpm, then go with a "Y" pipe. (With the early style tanks...pre-'92, you will have to have a single pipe through the gas tank) You can split it again after the tank into duals. You will get some resonation though. I've got true duals on my SC ('92) with no "X" pipe or resonator. I've got a little drone, but it's not too bad. Every now and again it bugs me, but not most of the time.

If you want to keep the drone down, I recommend a Magnaflow muffler (in reverse form) that is dual 2-1/2 inlets and single 3" outlet. Run your 3" center section back to behind the gas tank and split back to dual exhaust. The best sound is with Borla mufflers out back. Every one has their own opinions, of course, so take it for what it's worth...

the thing is this topic is so beaten up here, so it will be better for you to do a search and read what have been said before ;)

I've got 2 2 1/2 high flow cats, dual 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 in(getting that changed), single 2 1/2 out, dynomax muffler, y'd off to 2 1/2 tail pipes after the tank. I don't mind the exhaust. It let's people know you are there. Drones on long trips.

Stephen

Back