What is this damn noise!!!

pipecraze

When I go over bumps I hear a noise coming from the front end (figred it was upper C-arms). I went ahead and changed out both. The ball joint on each was slightly loose so I figured this had to be what causes the noise....So today after swaping out both I go out for a drive expecting to hear the sweet sound of silence....NOPE, still there.

What could it be? Pretty much all the bushings are new, inner and outter tie rod ends are new as well. When I tug on the tire I don't feel any play.

I think it may be the sway bar bushings, has anyone else had them wear down and make noise?

check ur door hinges
when the bushings r worn they make a rattle when u hit
bumps-it long shot but g/l

oh no

oooooooh crap not a 'find a suspention noise'

buddy on tccoa, did this for 2 months, replaced almost every suspention peice doing so.

post their, thoes guys know a bit as well

ray

Check your sway bar end links. Mine was creeking over bumps and when a slowly moved the steering wheel back and forth in short movements.

A short while back I had the exact same problems. I hit a pot hole or go over a bump and a knocking sound is there. Changed tie rods, control arms, and still the niose is there. Turns out that my shocks were gone and because the car was lowered that made things worse. I installed tokico illumina II and the noise went away.

Hope this helps.

I had weird sounds coming from my front and I drained the power steering fluid (looked like mud) and replaced it. that got rid of the noise. Just guessing

Component Description:290.SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:UPPER NHTSA Number: SB015909
Bulletin Number: BC6684900801
Bulletin Date: JUL 1990

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Thunderbird
Summary:T-BIRD BUILT PRIOR TO 3/1/90 MAY EXPERIENCE GRUNT/SQUEAK/CRUNCH NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION DRIVING OVER BUMPS/DIPS-THIS USUALLY OCCURS AT AMBIENT TEMPERATURES B ELOW 40 DEGREES F-TO CORRECT INSTALL NEW UPPER CONTROL ARM AND BUSHING (PT# E9SZ -3084/85-A)-ALL FORD SERVICE MANAGERS PYM

Shocks

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. It seems very likely that it is the shocks as the noise seems to follow the same motion that the shocks move when hitting bumps.

Is there any way to check for sure if it is the shocks? I think I saw fluid leaking from one of them about a month ago. Sounds like that would be a sure sign its junk now.

Thanks for all the help on this one!

Pipecraze, like I said before it's most likely the shocks. One way to test them is to place you hands on the fender above the wheels and give it a few pumps. You might be able to hear the knock. Or give a few pumps and if the car still floats around considerably after you've let go, then you know they need replacing.

Remember, your shocks don't necessarly have to leak for them to go bad. Good luck.

BTW for the price that you will pay for Ford front shocks, I would go the other route and add the Koni adjustable shocks. They are still expensive but worth it. I should have gone with those insted of the Tokico Illumina II"s

Yeah, When I get the money I'm going for Koni and H&R springs. Thats low on the list though because I'd like to take care of the exhaust and some engine improvements first. I never guessed it could be the shocks causing this noise but I'm pretty positive that's what it is. The car has 163,000 and the shocks look original. One more thing needing to be replaced, I love these cars but they are expensive to fix!

Probably the struts, It might be wise to replace the upper strut mounts while it's apart.
Also, check your Rack & Pinion bushings while your at it.

I have the same problem.. I have taken my car to mieneke and was told the strut mount was bad. Replaced it and still have the noise. They could not figure it out every thing else is tight and bushing look fine as well as strut. I have suspected some thing in the Rack and Pinion because if feel vibrations from the passenger side (problem side) to my heal while driving.

Where are these Rack and Pinion bushings?

94SC

They are where the 2 bolts are that hold the R&P to the frame. The bolts run thru them.
The R&P is located under the engine so it is apt to get oil and dirt on the bushings and over time they can deteriorate like any other bushing.
I hope this helps.
Jimmy

Back