SC Stereo Question.......

mkurkowski

Can anyone tell me if a 92 SC with the factory JBL sound system will have preamp outputs on the back of the stereo deck. Thanks.

Nope. Your best bet for adding an amp is one that can take speaker level inputs and pull it right off the lines going to the existing sub.

ok. well, my door panels say "ford JBL audio system" so that must mean good news, eh? i guess the reason that i'm doubting it is because i can't figure out where the sub itself is located. i see the amp (i think) mounted in the top front corner of the trunk, but where is the sub itself, is it visible or hidden? thanks.

No, the sub is very visible. It is a large black box hanging down on the passenger side of the rear deck, in the trunk.

Last edited:
hmmm......that is really wierd. the JBL sound system but no sub......what's the deal? did the previous owner change the door panels? Is there any other way of telling whether you car was actually built with the jbl system or the premium system? thanks.

Last edited:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC you will have an amp for the stereo and an amp for the sub both located in the "package tray" if your car was ever equipped with a factory sub. If you have two amps and no sub that pretty much means somebody took the sub out. If you only have one amp and no "extra wiring" you have a "premium only" system not a JBL.

Door panels can be swapped out. My 35th has a JBL door panel on the left, Premium sound panel on the right. It's just a little plastic insert into the panel.

If there are two amps, it's JBL. If there is one, it's Premium. If there are none, it's standard.

JBL will also have JBL speakers in the doors and side panels.

Mike8675309 said:
Door panels can be swapped out. My 35th has a JBL door panel on the left, Premium sound panel on the right. It's just a little plastic insert into the panel.

If there are two amps, it's JBL. If there is one, it's Premium. If there are none, it's standard.

JBL will also have JBL speakers in the doors and side panels.

If its is the premium sound, will it have a JBL amp??? My car has JBL badges on the doors but has no sub and only one amp, i think it only has one amp.

ok.....thanks for all the help guys!

well i have come to the conclusion that mine must just be a premium system, which is ok because i already had a big sub bought before i started this post. so anyway, what size of speakers does it use all the way around? where would be the best place to pull off the low level imputs to run the amp for the sub? also, is there any way to get the right imputs to run a 4 channel amp and amp all the rest of the speakers? thanks

The JBL system has a 4 channel amp for the radio, and a Subwoofer amplfier, thus 2 amps on the deck.

The Premium sound system has a 4 channel amp for the radio and that's it. Nada anything else.

The JBL system uses different speakers than the Premium system. The premium system uses different speakers than the standard system.

Thus, no amps on the deck, standard am/fm radio.
one amp on the deck, Premium sound
two amps on the deck (and maybe a subwoofer if someone didn't rip it out) it's the JBL system.

Back