SC fluid

bustedbird

I have just read several threads related to this and I am shocked! Many of you said that the fluid must be low if it took the whole 4 ounces. Well I just put in 12 ounces and can barely see the level at the very bottom of the tank! Seven bucks a bottle ot GM, I just ordered a quart of BP 2380 Turbine oil for that, I sure hope that there is not any permanent damage.

Mine was bone dry, I had it apart to replace the bearings, and it took slightly less than two bottles of the GM stuff.

bustedbird said:
..Well I just put in 12 ounces and can barely see the level at the very bottom of the tank!
You are putting it in the little hole, and not down the SC top are you?

The "tank" you refering to is the S/C case i hope. There is a little allen head plug you must remove in the case. There is no resivior for the fluid. This what your talking about????

Alright guys, now I feel like a complete fool. I have owned one of these cars for over 2 years now, and I did not know that is how you fill the supercharger. I poured $21 worth of supercharger fluid in the brake master cylinder tank. Suppose I should probably get that out of there huh. I knew that it did not seem right, the accumilator ball sits right below it. Any suggestions as to how I could get all that liquid gold out of there? Sorry for the goose chase.

did you pour it in a little round resivior or in a big square looking one, little one is for the clutch and the big one if for the brakes.....

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
did you pour it in a little round resivior or in a big square looking one, little one is for the clutch and the big one if for the brakes.....

I put it in the master cylinder brake tank. I think that I will have to bleed the brake system to get all that crap out of there.

bustedbird said:
I put it in the master cylinder brake tank. I think that I will have to bleed the brake system to get all that crap out of there.

:eek: .....this is a joke right???

bustedbird said:
Alright guys, now I feel like a complete fool. I have owned one of these cars for over 2 years now, and I did not know that is how you fill the supercharger. I poured $21 worth of supercharger fluid in the brake master cylinder tank. Suppose I should probably get that out of there huh. I knew that it did not seem right, the accumilator ball sits right below it. Any suggestions as to how I could get all that liquid gold out of there? Sorry for the goose chase.

Well, more than likely you have damaged the seals in the ABS unit. Brake fluid and oil do not mix well. Best of luck, besides we all have done something stupid once in a lifetime. :D I know I have...LOL

bustedbird said:
There's a method to bleeding the brakes. In your case I suggest that you take it to a garage and have them put it on a machine. I don't know if that will drain the accumulator, it may need to be removed and drained as well. Good luck with that :confused:!

When you fill the super changer and it's empty, take a look at the snout and see if there's a oily residue in back of the pulley. The seal could be shot.

Guys, I wish this was a joke. I have said before that I am no mechanic, but I do try to do things myself to save a few bucks. I myself can't believe that I did that. I read the cap when I took it off that said use DOT 3 brake fluid or equivelent. I just wasn't thinking I guess. Oh well, so you think that the master cylinder is wasted huh? Well, thats just my luck, I did however manage to rebuild both the window motors, so today isn't totally wasted. Thanks guys, Art

bustedbird said:
Guys, I wish this was a joke. I have said before that I am no mechanic, but I do try to do things myself to save a few bucks. I myself can't believe that I did that. I read the cap when I took it off that said use DOT 3 brake fluid or equivelent. I just wasn't thinking I guess. Oh well, so you think that the master cylinder is wasted huh? Well, thats just my luck, I did however manage to rebuild both the window motors, so today isn't totally wasted. Thanks guys, Art

So how's the brakes?

Sorry to hear that Art. I wish I could say I haven't done something like that but thru the years several times.

I don't know what effect supercharger fluid will have on brake rubber parts but you might be able to recover. IF you haven't turned the key on or hit the brakes (to force "fluid" into the system) , on a 90 SC you could remove the brake fluid reserve. It is held in place by 2 drift pins and something else but it's been a long time. That way you could eliminate the SC Fluid before it's "really" gotten into your brake system or reduce the amount of contamination in the several complete flushes in your future. If you can get it off and clean it, you may get away with just putting it back on and filling it with DOT 3 brake fluid.
Good luck,
Fred

Last edited:
bustedbird said:
I have just read several threads related to this and I am shocked! Many of you said that the fluid must be low if it took the whole 4 ounces. Well I just put in 12 ounces and can barely see the level at the very bottom of the tank! Seven bucks a bottle ot GM, I just ordered a quart of BP 2380 Turbine oil for that, I sure hope that there is not any permanent damage.
If you put 12 ounces in your brake fluid reservoir and can barely see the fluid at the bottom of the tank then you might have brake problems not related to you putting SC fluid in it.

I really don't think the seals are going to be damaged by oil. If it was the other way around you would probably have serious problems with just about anything else. That said I don't know that anyone knows for sure what the effects are in this situation. In any case removing the res., cleaning and reinstalling then bleeding the system would probably be your best bet.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
I really don't think the seals are going to be damaged by oil. If it was the other way around you would probably have serious problems with just about anything else. That said I don't know that anyone knows for sure what the effects are in this situation. In any case removing the res., cleaning and reinstalling then bleeding the system would probably be your best bet.

Jeff

Transmission fluid, engine oil, ect added to brake fluid will cause all rubber seals in brake system to swell and cause MAJOR damage to system. I see people do this all the time and it is BIG dollars to replace a entire brake system, trust me. If other way around, your engine would get a through cleaning but not be affected.

Brake fluid is a lot more caustic that oil is. You see this all the time? :rolleyes: Brake fluid will swell seals but I haven't seen it the other way around.

Last edited:
Back