Need Help In Central Il

sanoe63

IS THERE ANYONE IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS THAT CAN WORK ON THESE CARS? IT SEEMS THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE TIME TO FIGURE OUT MY PROBLEM ON MY 94 S\C.
THANKS,
SCOTT :mad:

Last edited:
I have a 1994 s/c that idles at 1700 rpm after letting off the gas for about 7 seconds, then it drops down to 800 rpm. It also seems to have a dead spot under light acceleration and a slight surge. I have replaced the iac, plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter, clean thottle body, checked vaccum leaks, and cleaned mas. Could it be a bad tps,or a bad egr?
Thanks,
Scott

I live south of you about 200 miles.But I don't
have the slightest idea of what your problem
could be.

There is no one that I know of in IL. that knows jack
about these cars.Or that will help with problems.

How and when did this problem start?Have you ran
any codes yet?

About the only way that I have found vac leaks
is to pressurize the intake system,with around 10lbs
of air.I have never found leaks by spraying connections.

If you don,t have a hose clamp or plastic tie on every
one of your vac lines.You will have vac leaks during
boost.This may not be your main problem,but it is one
of them, I am sure of.This is one place to start to get
your SC-Bird back running right.

Randy

Check your voltage at the TPS. I believe you tap the green wire for positive, then ground out the black lead on your voltmeter. You should be under 1 volt with the throttle body closed. Open the TB and let it snap shut a few times to make sure it's under 1 volt consistantly. If it's ever over 1 volt it will cause a high (1500ish rpm) and erratic idle. BTW, I'm in springfield.

Where did you buy your IAC? Only go to Ford for IAC and TPS.

Micah

sanoe63 said:
How do you pressurize the intake system?
Thanks,
Scott

I removed the throttlebody.Made a plate from aluminum to bolt
in the throttle bodies place.Drill and tap a hole in plate for air
hose.You will need a air regulator between air sorce and
throttlebody plate.Then set the regulator at 5 lbs to 15lbs
your max boost of your supercharger.

When you ad air this will mimic you system under boost.
Then start sealing leaks on your vac lines IC lines and
what ever part that is leaking under boost.This is the
only real world way to test for leaks just like while driving
your car.

You can use small hose clamps and plastic tie on all your vac
lines you can get to on the boost side of system.And sealer
on IC tubes,blower top,etc.

Randy

Take your SC to Jim Nichols' Automotive in Decatur (just off 22nd St). When I used to live down there, he was the only one I would let work on my car. I never had to have any of his work redone yet (3 years since leaving) and he was ALWAYS good to me on price. For instance: New head gaskets, intake gaskets, 3-angle valve job & new clutch for $1,400.

Tell him Justin Metzger recommended him. If he groans and says "does he still have that thing" tell him "yes." lol

Real great guy, knows the car inside and out, great work, great price.

Right when I bought my SC, right off of Tuscola Ford's lot, I had them replaced a busted radiator (on warranty). But, after I picked it up and the mechanic said, "This is a nice turbo thunderbird!". I said, "Thanks..." and never took it back. SCCOA is a WEALTH of knowledge and if you can give anyone a hint of what it is doing and DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OUT, they will fix it. Questions to ask yourself and then post the answers: What is the last thing I did/had done to the SC? When did it start doing this? Is there any codes thrown (Check Engine Light (CEL))? From what you were initially describing, that's what mine did a couple of times and then it went to 2200 RPM's and wouldn't come down. And I got the famous (infamous?) dying goose honk. Replaced the IAC with a FORD unit and no more problem for me :D .

need help in central il????

Hey whats up,

I am currently the owner of three sc's i work on the super coupes alot, even get a referal now and then from local ford shops...if you need a hand drop me a msg at 309-648-3974 i live in the pekin area

Cole

I will be down there but not with the Thunderbird. I have a 1969 Mach1 that I am taking. Look for a light yellow Mach1 with a fat bald guy sitting by it and that will be me.
Thanks,
Scott
lic plate #1 SNOE

Back