89 SC exhaust options?

blksn8k

I don't want to change the fuel tank to the later style. I don't plan any major engine mods either. I just want something a little better than stock. I will be dropping the exhaust system to replace my fuel pump and figured this would be a perfect time to upgrade. It still has all the original exhaust and it seems to be in good shape. Summit Racing sells a Flowmaster resonator and separate cat-back system. I'm not sure if their website has the right description for the resonator though. It says "Muffler, Force II, 2 in. Inlet/Dual 2 in. Outlet, Aluminized Steel, Each" and is required for the cat-back system which is all 2 1/4". Uh? :confused: They also have MagnaFlow replacement cats with 2" pipes. Anyway, none of that seems much better than stock. What else is available?

supercoupeperformance.com

Super Coupe Performance has a 2.5"-3"-2.5" setup that will fit the early fuel tank. They also have Hi-Flo resonators.

68COUGAR

Also Wynn (Tbird88, look at the top right for Texas Thunderbirds) makes a 3" plus other parts to make your own system. I think he has a 3" for the early models.

Jeff

If you not looking at any major mods to the motor, then a 2.25"-3"-2.25" exhaust is the best for you.Any higher than that and your going to loose alot of bottom end, and will have to spin your blower 10% faster to get some of that loss back. Even with the 2.25" system you can still do quite alot of mods and not hurt. A 2.5" pipe of of your stock manifolds will be a royal pita to seal up properly.

Frit

i just went to advance auto and bought a muffler for 20 bucks with 2 , 2.25 in and 3 inch out and welded it in for resonator and used stock mufflers they say the mufflers arent to restrictive on the sc it sounds good to me . its better than stock and not real loud , for about a year i just ran resonator with no mufflers , it wasnt real bad loud , but i sure couldnt sneak around at nite no more

Last edited:
I had custom 2.25 downpipes (without cats)made, flowmaster resonator kit, stock rear pipes with 2.25 thrush turbo mufflers(thought they would be quiet) and the car sounds like a dang john deere....I hate it.....i would recomend that nobody uses my setup or equivelent!

Back