Cool wrench for collar nut on supercharger...PIC

tbird88

Ace Hardware has 'em for 21.99, works like a dream!

'bird

wrench26.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar strap wrench and it seems like a good tool. In fact it works great for putting on the collar nut... but not for removing it. I can't break the nut loose because the strap absorbs that initial jolt of force. Have you been able to remove it with your wrench? Maybe my strap wrench just has too much stretch to it.

Rob

Wrench

We had the same deal as Rob. The strap wrench could not budge that collar nut for anything. It would just stretch. Maybe that is a better design but the craftsman strap wrench my dad has gets a thumbs down for taking off the collar nut.

Hmm, I can see where the strap on the one pictured could be a problem. Not sure if it just needs "breaking in" but seems like it could possibly slip under the right circumstances because in new condition the strap part is pretty slick. I haven't had that problem yet but I might rough mine up just a little.

'bird

hey, just an Idea...

why not try and throw a piece of rubber on the inside of the wrench? Maybe like 1/32" thick if not smaller.... I think that would solve the "slippage" issue... maybe?

take care,
-Steve:D

SC collar nut wrench

i tried the strap type too and it didnt work......i had my local MATCO tool dealer order me the actual wrench that OTC makes for ford....the OTC number is 303-356, it will run almost a hundred bucks, which seems ridiculous....but it will work and it will not scratch or damage the collar.......

I haven't investigated, but I saw Autozone is now renting tools for free (just put down a deposit)...

I would look into renting or borrowing from another SCCoA member before buying....

Just my 2 cents...

-rd

Didn't somebody mention in the past that the factory wrench from Ford can be had for around $60 ?

'bird

I know that Super Coupe Performance has them listed under their "engine" parts section for $60. The website is www.supercoupeperformance.com.

These wrenches have the advantage that you can use a 3/8" torque wrench to get the proper tightness on the nut. They are also useful on very tight nuts that have been on there a long time. I have also seen these wrenches sell in Ford Rotunda kits on ebay.

It is a standard OTC tool as mentioned, and you may be able to source it from other suppliers.

Back