torque plate worth it?

turbospeed

im thinking of renting a torque palte but is kinda expensive , is it worth it?
do i really get benefits from using it?

One thing I recently heard is that one guy had a .002 difference in some areas of the bore while the torque plate was bolten on.

If using a torque plate, the block is bored and honed with the same (or alot more close) to the shape it will have with the heads botled on.

My understanding is that this is a performance type mod, and not completely necessary on a stockish build.

However, I had them use the torque plate on mine...

Well I am not sure about what the factory does to em, but this isn't done from the factory is it????

went to a machine shop to inquire about my 3.0 Supra motor once and the guy told me a torque plate should be used on any boosted application- just my $.02

Torque plates will assure that your cylinder walls are round after the heads are torqued on. If you make your cylinder walls round without them then torque your heads they will be slightly distorted. This distortion may prevent your rings from sealing as well as they should. How much is blowby worth?

It can be even cheaper, or even more expensive than that. Depends on many factors, mostly being what people will pay. Market driven ya know.

Torque plates are a highly recommended option for any motor that intends to go beyond factory HP ratings. I recall reading something about machinists even trying to get the block into the same deformation it will see when at high RPM to try and bore the cylinders then. Thus for things like high speed power boats, or NASCAR type race cars with high rpm at a fairly constant RPM you get optimal performance.

I'll pm you a contact you can contact to see if a deal on renting a torque plate is possible.

BTW - you can also contact Paul at Blue Tongue Motorsports. http://www.bluetonguemotorsports.com/ He has a set of plates that he will rent out.

Last edited:
Mike8675309 said:
It can be even cheaper, or even more expensive than that. Depends on many factors, mostly being what people will pay. Market driven ya know.

Torque plates are a highly recommended option for any motor that intends to go beyond factory HP ratings. I recall reading something about machinists even trying to get the block into the same deformation it will see when at high RPM to try and bore the cylinders then. Thus for things like high speed power boats, or NASCAR type race cars with high rpm at a fairly constant RPM you get optimal performance.

I'll pm you a contact you can contact to see if a deal on renting a torque plate is possible.

BTW - you can also contact Paul at Blue Tongue Motorsports. http://www.bluetonguemotorsports.com/ He has a set of plates that he will rent out.

Thank god. I'm gunna have to remember that if my engine ever has to come apart.

anyone have a picture of a torque plate. I've done a few SBC's and never used them. Motors ran like raped apes too.

Torque plates aren't worth taking a picture of. Just a big hunk of high carbon steel, about 2 inches thick with holes cut to be larger than the cylinders, but just enough to machine the cylinders. Countersunk holes for the head bolts.

Torque it down, machine away.

Is it required? No. Is it better than not using one? yes.

(just don't bring up the volume differences in the combustion chambers (from cylinder to cylinder) and differences in air flow through an engine brought about by hand porting the heads.)

Mike8675309 said:
Torque plates aren't worth taking a picture of. Just a big hunk of high carbon steel, about 2 inches thick with holes cut to be larger than the cylinders, but just enough to machine the cylinders. Countersunk holes for the head bolts.

Torque it down, machine away.

Is it required? No. Is it better than not using one? yes.

(just don't bring up the volume differences in the combustion chambers (from cylinder to cylinder) and differences in air flow through an engine brought about by hand porting the heads.)

do i have to use new bolts to torque it down? or i can just reuse the old ones ?

Back