ABS Pump Relay

pirulo

Hi guys/gals
I need an ABS pump relay, because the orange ABS light shows up, after reading lot of articles here I decided I should change mine. But the problem is I cannot get it here in Bay Area in California and when I called the dealer they said it is an obsolete part. Did any one buy it from NAPA, they said the part number as AR373, but it has to be shipped from the east coast. May be I will order on line, if the part number is correct.
Info appreciated.

regards

i never had a problem with my relay , the brushes in the pump went bad , i could bump it with a broom handle and it would kick on , thats how i knew it was the pump

ABS (brown pump) Relay

GP Sorenesen Part # MR-120 should be available at most parts houses for about $15.00

Ford p/n is E7LY 8Z658 A. Was still available last time I checked. Our computer connection to Ford is dead here at the dealership this morning, otherwise I could confirm for you.

cheers
Ed N.

thanks guys,
I will try now and find out in auto zone and Kragen. Both places couple of days back they said it does not show up in their system under tbird.
thanks
srini

fast Ed said:
Ford p/n is E7LY 8Z658 A. Was still available last time I checked. Our computer connection to Ford is dead here at the dealership this morning, otherwise I could confirm for you.

cheers
Ed N.

I got mine at Checker (Shucks,Kragen) Auto parts. $15.00 and the replacement isn't brown, it's black.

The Ford depots in Sacramento and Ontario, California are showing stock on that relay, E7LY 8Z658 A. So your local dealer should be able to get it in overnight, if the parts stores can't help you out. I don't have access to the U.S. pricing though, sorry.

cheers
Ed N.

Hi NMxr7SC,
I tried today at Kragen auto parts they don't have it I searched on online I cannot find it, could you please give me the part number.

Hi Fast Ed,
thanks for finding out, I will call couple of other ford dealers and find out.

thanks

NMxr7SC said:
I got mine at Checker (Shucks,Kragen) Auto parts. $15.00 and the replacement isn't brown, it's black.

Hi NMxr7SC,
thanks for the info, I looked under the relays and ABS pump relay for our cars and it said part not found. Then I clicked on the other link you sent and it said Niehoff Ignition RL32901
Accessory Relay:

I called their toll free number and the guy said this is the the correct relay and he said they don't have ABS pump relay.
Any input please. Do you mean to say accessory relay can be used to ABS ?

THANKS

NMxr7SC said:

Try this...

All of the "early" model SC's (including the '89 and '90 XR7's) had the Teves MarkII ABS. The later SC's have the Teves Mark IV and I'm not sure if they use the same relay set-up. If the online parts catalog doesn't show the ABS relay for your model year, try 1992. CSKAuto.com lists 3 ABS relays for the '92 SC. I have the GP Sorensen MR 120 in my SC. It is commonly available. If you ask for an "ABS Pump Relay for a 19xx TBird SC" at the parts counter, they will probably tell you it isn't available, doesn't exist, or they may just give you a blank stare :confused: Ask for it by part number and you'll be fine.
(FYI, these used to be called "Brown Pump Relays" because the plastic case was dark brown. The new ones are probably black and gray.)

thanks for the info LJGriggs,
you are correct it shows up for 92, but can we use 92 part on 89?,. Did anyone use this on a 89?.
another ford dealer said he can get it shipped in couple of days and the price is 32 not bad I guess.
Unless someone says I can use 92 part on 89 I will buy from Kragen.

thanks

LJGriggs said:
All of the "early" model SC's (including the '89 and '90 XR7's) had the Teves MarkII ABS. The later SC's have the Teves Mark IV and I'm not sure if they use the same relay set-up. If the online parts catalog doesn't show the ABS relay for your model year, try 1992. CSKAuto.com lists 3 ABS relays for the '92 SC. I have the GP Sorensen MR 120 in my SC. It is commonly available. If you ask for an "ABS Pump Relay for a 19xx TBird SC" at the parts counter, they will probably tell you it isn't available, doesn't exist, or they may just give you a blank stare :confused: Ask for it by part number and you'll be fine.
(FYI, these used to be called "Brown Pump Relays" because the plastic case was dark brown. The new ones are probably black and gray.)

thank you all,
I got the GP Sorensen MR 120, for 11 buks from Auto zone, It is because of the year 1989 they could not find, but when I said 92 they were able to find, funny thing they coul not find through part number MR120 last week, may the guy we did the search on their system did know how.
Any way thaks, I will install it.
regards
fast Ed said:
Same pump relay for 1989 - 1992.

cheers
Ed N.

If your brakes work and the ABS light is the only light on its not the relay. Could be a wheel sensor or something.

If the relay fails your brake pedal will be hard as a rock and you will definately know something is wrong. Also if that happens it could be the pressure switch failed.

If your abs light is on I think you should run codes from the connector in the trunk behind the carpet and tell us what find then we can help you fix the problem.

When the relay or pressure switch fail, both the ABS and BRAKE light will stay on and the pump won't run to pressurize the accumulator. Your brake pedal will not move unless you stand on it with two feet and it could cause you to total your car and injure someone so please don't drive it if that becomes the case.

Thanks Scott,
My brakes work fine, but on this form I read lot of articles saying if the oragne ABS light is on then it is the relay, my light used be on after driving for few miles, but now it is on all the time.
May I should chek it out, first I will put the sensor because it is just 10 buks and it that doesn't resolve then I have to check.
I changed my brakes recently and the mechanic said the back brake broke and screwed the caliper and I chaged both the caliper and everythin including the rotars, he said because of it I may be getting the light and might go away, but it didn't.
I try it and let you guys know
regards
Scott Long said:
If your brakes work and the ABS light is the only light on its not the relay. Could be a wheel sensor or something.

If the relay fails your brake pedal will be hard as a rock and you will definately know something is wrong. Also if that happens it could be the pressure switch failed.

If your abs light is on I think you should run codes from the connector in the trunk behind the carpet and tell us what find then we can help you fix the problem.

When the relay or pressure switch fail, both the ABS and BRAKE light will stay on and the pump won't run to pressurize the accumulator. Your brake pedal will not move unless you stand on it with two feet and it could cause you to total your car and injure someone so please don't drive it if that becomes the case.

My ABS orange light has came on twice this week. Once when I was driving, once right after I got off lunch and was headed back to work. Later after work it was off and fine. I think the boot on my right rear axle is flinging grease on the abs wheel sensor, so maybe I need to clean the sensor. I will pull codes since I have a code scanner and see for sure but I think mine will be a problem with the passenger rear abs sensor. It has a ring gear that spins past the sensor. The sensor might be magnetic or something, anyhow it judges the speed and compares the reading to each other wheel to see how fast they are spinning and whether or not to activate the abs (pulsating) when you push the brake pedal.

Back