93 Mark 8 AOD driveshaft in a 90 SC-Plug and play or mod needed?

metalman

So I've put threads on this before and read others but I'm still not seeing a definative answer yet.

I put both shafts to eachother and the Mark 8 shaft looks to be less than an inch longer that my stock SC shaft. Will the tranny accept an extra 3/4" or so. I've read to change out the yolk and cut/balance...

Before I do this tomorrow I just would like to see if I get some definte responses.

Will the Mark 8 alum. AOD driveshaft fit 'as is' into my car?

Thanks,

Metalman

I had mine shortened and balanced and even there the yoke is almost all of the way into the tranwsmission. This is on a 5 spd car, now. I don't know about the AOD.

I believe that all of them had an aluminum driveshaft but that only the 93 was 1 piece. The other years had a 2 piece like our SC's steel one. There is an old post with the exact dimensions of all of them. Do a search and you should find it.

I figured it out.

The splines of both driveshaft are the same, but the Mark 8 yolk has a little more girth to it, so it hits the casing of the tranny. You have to swap out yolks.

Ok, I also found out that I need to get the shaft cut too. It is less than an inch too long. DAMN!

Anthony

I've wondered this myself, and seem to find different answers.

If you find out for sure, please let us know!!!

The difinative answers I have found are this-

1- You have to swap U-joints. The Mark 8 is too girthy to fit in the tranny

2- You have to get it cut and balanced. It is roughly 1 inch too long

and 3. I think the most important that I found out today :mad:

The 2 piece Mark 8 shaft is fill with about a foot of rubber to stablize the sleeving and WEIGH JUST ABOUT THE SAME AS OUR STOCK SHAFT! :mad:

so, I guess I'm not gonna put this one in and hit the junkyard for a 1 piece from another Mark VIII or (as was suggested by the Machine Shop) a small flat bed Ford. I guess a Ranger or F150?? So long as it's the same or longer they can cut and balance it.

The guy at the shop said he hadn't seen a shaft with rubber in them beyond cars from the 60's :confused:

Metalman

Back