A few Questions

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
I just got my first S/C a 93/auto 110k Mint condition completely stock. I am wondering about a couple things. 1st I am wanting to ge a bra for it and wondered where is a good place and what is a good brand bra to get. Also Am wondering about a K&N filter or somthing of that nature what is good for these? Also would i be able to hear the supercharger a little better with a K&N cone type filter? and what kind of power increase can you expect? Also Wondering about plugs/wires what do you guys recomend(it is not in need of them now but will eventualy) Also how do you check the oil on the supercharger and how do you add/what do you add to it if it needs any? I've noticed that it is a little noisy at idle (the supercharger) but as soon as its off idle its not i don't know if its a standard with these or if i need to check the oil in it(probably not a bad idea anyway). Also what kind of oil change interval/what kind/wieght of oil do you guys recomend? I was thinking of running castrol GTX 10w40 for the summer.

A couple more questions is it alright to run 90 octane gas with a can of octane boost to each tank? Also is it normal for the firm ride light to go on and off all the time?

Well I can give you my thoughts and experiences.
1) I got my car bra for my 95 from jegs.com and it was a covercraft bra. It was a nice product for a decent price.
2) For a better air filter, I have a Pro-M 77mm induction system (MAFS and rubber tube thing) on my SC. My buddy had just a K&N 9" cone filter and you could hear his supercharger scream. Both cars screamed about the same.
3) For plugs and wires, I use the Motorcraft Wires with Autolite double platinum plugs and like the results.
4) The place to check the supercharger oil is right next to the snout on the SC to the right. Its a little plug and I believe you need an allen wrench to remove it. Be careful not to strip the inside of the plug ! ! If its low you can remove it all and refill ( do a search for this ) - I use the GM SC fluid with no problems.
5) If it makes a noise like marbles are rolling around inside the blower, then you need a new coupler.

Hope this helps some ! Take care, Austin

Thanks for all the info. The noise is only at idle and isn't a severe noise at all infact it might not even be comming from the supercharger at all. So i am assuming that a K&N cone will deffinately wake it up a bit? I think i got a hell of a deal only paid $2900 for it and can't find a defect to it other than a couple rock chips on the front of the hood. Otherwise its imaculate condition it was a 1 owner trade. I will post a couple pics when i get a chance.. Also what about removing the cat? I live in a no smog test area and would much rather remove the cat for performance than replace the mufflers then i dont end up with a ricey exaust note.. Already have that problem with my f-150 when i got the bright idea of putting duals on a 300-6.. Is there an off road pipe available for these like there is for mustangs? Also does anyone have any 1/8th mile times for these things? I've seen alot of info on 1/4 mile times but was a bit currious as all the tracks around me are 1/8th mile I would assume that the SC's don't do to hot on an 1/8th mile track because the new lightnings don't really start to get going untill the end of the track.

HHHthegame said:
Well I can give you my thoughts and experiences.
1) I got my car bra for my 95 from jegs.com and it was a covercraft bra. It was a nice product for a decent price.
2) For a better air filter, I have a Pro-M 77mm induction system (MAFS and rubber tube thing) on my SC. My buddy had just a K&N 9" cone filter and you could hear his supercharger scream. Both cars screamed about the same.
3) For plugs and wires, I use the Motorcraft Wires with Autolite double platinum plugs and like the results.
4) The place to check the supercharger oil is right next to the snout on the SC to the right. Its a little plug and I believe you need an allen wrench to remove it. Be careful not to strip the inside of the plug ! ! If its low you can remove it all and refill ( do a search for this ) - I use the GM SC fluid with no problems.
5) If it makes a noise like marbles are rolling around inside the blower, then you need a new coupler.

Hope this helps some ! Take care, Austin

Another way to check and see if it is the supercharger making the noise is to remove the SC belt and start the car. If there is no noise, the problem lies in the charger. Not sure about removing the cats in terms of sound. I recently had them removed from my car because I thought they were plugged. Sounds fine I think, not really raspy or anything. Definatley change the cats to high-flows if you don't and get rid of those 90 bend OEM ones ;) Post some pics when you get a chance, it sounds like a beautiful car ! ! Austin

Back