Big Brakes for 95SC

D A

I just read an article about the new mustang gt500 shelby having 14" front brakes and I think 13" rear brakes. Is there anyone out there that knows if I can convert those to work (to include hubs and calipers) on a 95 SC? Will those mustang hubs work?
thanks

"Without a garage in MD"

Don
95 SC auto

The 05 and newer Mustangs have a completely different brake and suspension system than the 94 - 04 cars. I don't think it's been tried yet, but I doubt that any of the brakes or hubs will be a bolt-on to an MN-12 car. Keep in mind too that the 07 GT-500 is still in the prototype stage, there are no service parts available for these cars to the general public yet.

The 05 Ford GT supercar uses 14" Brembo front rotors, and the hat area on these is pretty much identical to the 94 - 04 Mustang Cobra 13" rotors ... which go on a 93 - 97 MN-12 car when used with the Mustang hub and bearings. The tough part would be caliper brackets. Currently (from Ford anyway), there are no brackets available to attach the 4-piston Brembo calipers from the GT to any other type of spindle. They use a radial mount, so a pair of custom-made L-shaped brackets would have to be fabricated.

My suggestion would be to look at something like the Brembo 13" rotor / 4-piston caliper combo (OE on the 2000 Cobra R Mustang), it's available from Ford Racing, or aftermarket sources. Take a look at the bottom of the page here, from Rich Thomson's site:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm

On the rear, anything larger than the Cobra 11.65" rotors, or KVR 12" kit, will require custom fabricating as well.

cheers
Ed N.

Back