No Anti-lock brakes ???????????

AlanEdwards

I recently rebuilt my engine. I just noticed a couple of days ago that my anti-lock brakes aren't activating at all. I slam on the brakes and it won't even "attempt" to lock the wheels. There isn't even any clicking in the brake pedal or anything. Maybe the ABS system is fine, but regardless, my brakes aren't what they were before the rebuild. Does anyone have an idea? Like, maybe I left something unplugged or something. FYI, my ABS light IS NOT on. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I undrstand your problem here. You say that when you slam on the brakes they DON'T lock up? What's the problem? Anti-lock brakes are not supposed to lock up.

If you hit them hard enough, you can hear the valves open and close and maybe hear the tires chip a little.......

Try testing them out on a grassy field....

What I'm trying to say I guess, is that if I slam on my brakes, the ABS system doesn't kick in at all. I know about the valves opening and closing, hense what I said about the clicking in the pedal. It doesn't do that at all. Meaning that I don't have as good brakes as I did before the rebuild. They won't even ATTEMPT to grab, therefore the ABS system won't kick in. It probably isnt the ABS sytem, just the basic brakes. I was wondering if anyone has a lead for me to check out. I've got relatively new pads, front and back.

You need a new accumulator. If you wait, eventually you'll see the anti-lock light start to occasionally flash on/off and then the brake light. The accumulators are good for about 10 years of use before they wear out. :cool:

Back