Zero milage odometer

bustedbird

I have an extra guage cluster sitting in my garage, so I figured that I would tinker with it. I took apart one of my sons old battery operated trucks, took the motor and gears out of it, did the same with the odometer. I proceded to roll 30,000 miles off it in 20 minutes. Now I ask, would anybody be interested in something like this for a restore project or new engine. I am not doing this for fraud purposes, just thought it was kinda cool. It originally had 218,000, now it has 188,000. When I have a spare moment I will knock it back some more until it reaches zero. Thanks for your thoughts, Art

When I got a new speedometer from ford I left the mileage blank on the order form. It showed up and I installed it and had 0 miles on it. Car had 102k at the time. It has a sticker in the door jam that I wrote down the mileage at the time of the swap. And its on carfax as what the mileage was when I titled it so I'd have a hard time bs'ing someone about it.

bustedbird said:
I have an extra guage cluster sitting in my garage, so I figured that I would tinker with it. I took apart one of my sons old battery operated trucks, took the motor and gears out of it, did the same with the odometer. I proceded to roll 30,000 miles off it in 20 minutes. Now I ask, would anybody be interested in something like this for a restore project or new engine. I am not doing this for fraud purposes, just thought it was kinda cool. It originally had 218,000, now it has 188,000. When I have a spare moment I will knock it back some more until it reaches zero. Thanks for your thoughts, Art

There is a much easier way of doing this and takes only a few minuts to reset the milage on the odometer and that is at any starting point. I would tell but it could be used for the wrong reasons so I may just keep it to myself.

Shane

Shane??

Why even post then. If you aren't going to share info then you shouldnt have even put opened your mouth/posted.

:D

ScrapSC said:
Why even post then. If you aren't going to share info then you shouldnt have even put opened your mouth/posted.

:D

Well I was just trying to see if someone would get inspired to find out what it might be on their own. Hell maybe I should not of said anything.

Shane

Here are some pics of the finished product. I am sure that there are easier ways of going about it, but I did not want to break anything. Like I said before, and as Shane stated, I did not do this so somebody could misrepresent their car. I just thought it would be cool for a restore project or maybe a new engine. :)

Attachments

• DIGITAL CAMERA PICS 024.jpg
    DIGITAL CAMERA PICS 024.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 143
  • DIGITAL CAMERA PICS 025.jpg
    DIGITAL CAMERA PICS 025.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 163
THis is a question for bustedbird and quick35th.....with either of your methods, can the opposite be done...by this I mean can the milage be ADVANCED instead of rewound? I have a 145mph speedo that will go on my 89 (whenever its back on the road) and it has about 120xxx miles and my 89 has over 100k miles over that (about 225k). Also, the one on my 94 stoped working, so whenever i repair it i want to advance the milage to the approximately correct milage. Yeah, i've been told tahts gay...but i just like to have my real or at least accurate milage :D

CaifanSC said:
THis is a question for bustedbird and quick35th.....with either of your methods, can the opposite be done...by this I mean can the milage be ADVANCED instead of rewound? I have a 145mph speedo that will go on my 89 (whenever its back on the road) and it has about 120xxx miles and my 89 has over 100k miles over that (about 225k). Also, the one on my 94 stoped working, so whenever i repair it i want to advance the milage to the approximately correct milage. Yeah, i've been told tahts gay...but i just like to have my real or at least accurate milage :D

Oh yea, it's possible. I spun mine ahead about 6,500 miles before I caught it :D

CaifanSC said:

YES it can. Thats exactly what I did when I replaced my speedometer in my 35th. I found one in a junkyard that read 50K miles on it and I rolled the odometer up to 195K. Took all of 5 seconds to do it to.

Shane

quick35th said:
YES it can. Thats exactly what I did when I replaced my speedometer in my 35th. I found one in a junkyard that read 50K miles on it and I rolled the odometer up to 195K. Took all of 5 seconds to do it to.

Shane

bustedbird said:
Oh yea, it's possible. I spun mine ahead about 6,500 miles before I caught it :D

I PMed u both

can one of you guys pm me how to do this i just bought a cluster with indglow gauges installed and wanna roll it back a little to match my current milage, on another note i need a lil help getting the 4screws off the back of the odometer/speedo to reach the dial i guess you can say

anybody, pm with some help :confused:

trife86 said:
can one of you guys pm me how to do this i just bought a cluster with indglow gauges installed and wanna roll it back a little to match my current milage, on another note i need a lil help getting the 4screws off the back of the odometer/speedo to reach the dial i guess you can say

anybody, pm with some help :confused:

Someone mind PMing me on how to do this also? I've got a 145 in the 35th that needs another 90k or so added :) Thanks!

Can someone PM me on how to do this as I got a cluster out of the boneyard that reads 155000 and want to put the correct mileage on my 35th.
Thanks, Nick.

Me too

I need to know how to roll a late model speedo AHEAD. I bought a late model speedo with 55K on it. My car has about 85K on it. I want to roll the speedo ahead to the correct mileage.

If anybody knows how to do this, Please E-mail me: MLStrand56@hotmail.com

68COUGAR

odometer

Sweet90SC said:
Nick you can roll them either way the way I was telling you.... ;)
can you help me out im trying to figure out how to roll back a set of gauges i bought with nice indiglow on them, my first problem is i have to take off 4 screws to take the odometer part off right? i cant even come close to fitting any screwdriver there because the plastic of the face is blocking it.

can you help me out here

trife86 said:
can you help me out im trying to figure out how to roll back a set of gauges i bought with nice indiglow on them, my first problem is i have to take off 4 screws to take the odometer part off right? i cant even come close to fitting any screwdriver there because the plastic of the face is blocking it.

can you help me out here

I guess that I don't understand what you mean :confused: There are seven or so 5.5 mm screws that hold the clear plastic on the cluster. Remove those, unscrew the reset peg, and the clear cover along with the grey bezel can be removed. Take a small screw driver and remove the two screw beside the needle. Take the spedo out and the odometer lies below. There are three or four screws holding that in, remove them and take out the odometer. It was actually alot easier than I thought it would be. Hope this helps.

Back