Installing cooling fan switch. I need some assistance on circuit info

metalman

My low speed fan doesn't work. It is possible that it could be the temp sensor. But I need extra cooling regardless. So I cut the #14 wire for the time being. I am going to install a switch and I need a bit of help to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

I bought 30 amp switch and a 30 amp in line fuse with 10 gauge wire.

Question 1- is 30 amps enough?

Tell me if I'm wrong, please.
The circuit goes from the incoming cut of the #14 wire-Inline 30A fuse-wire to positive (+) side of 30A switch...
Out going wire from Accessory side of switch to out going side of #14 wire...
Ground wire (-) to chassis

Please correct me on any mistakes you see...and I very well could have it all wrong. I am a novice in the electrical world.

Thanks,
Metalman

you have to cute the number 14 wire.. i believe.. correct me if im wrong about what wire number... and install a RELAY to it... I did it on mine... I got the power source to switch on the relay from the Antenna switch that i no longer operate due to the fact that its broken.

I stated that in my first post that I already cut the #14 wire. I need to make sure I have the circuit correct though.

metalman said:
I stated that in my first post that I already cut the #14 wire. I need to make sure I have the circuit correct though.

You don't need a relay or any heavy gauge wire. Just attach wires to the cut ends of wire #14. Run those wires to a switch. Circuit open turns fan on, circut closed EEC controls fan.

David

Since I never drive in anything other then the FIRM shock setting I jumpered the circuit then ran my fan wire to that switch. So it's right there in the console and easy to use.

So the 30 Amp switch is the proper amperage?
Call me cautious, but isn't running a 30 Amp inline fuse before the switch a good idea?

I last little thing I'm unsure about (excuse my ingnorance)...

The switch has three terminals in order... Power (+)/ Accessory / Ground (-)
Does the incoming wire to the switch connect to Power, outgoing to ACC, and Ground to chassis?

BTW, I have a 'Conduct-tite' LED switch #85909 if it matters.

Thank you!

Metalman

metalman said:
So the 30 Amp switch is the proper amperage?
Call me cautious, but isn't running a 30 Amp inline fuse before the switch a good idea?

I last little thing I'm unsure about (excuse my ingnorance)...

The switch has three terminals in order... Power (+)/ Accessory / Ground (-)
Does the incoming wire to the switch connect to Power, outgoing to ACC, and Ground to chassis?

BTW, I have a 'Conduct-tite' LED switch #85909 if it matters.

Thank you!

Metalman

Metalman,

If you were wiring the fan up direct and not using the ICRM, then yes you would need the relays and fuses and all that stuff. But that's not what your doing...wire #14 is the ground wire that triggers the stock relay which handles all the voltage and high amp draw for the fan motor.

BTW, If you were running an independent fan power supply, 30 amp wouldn't be enough.

David

Last edited:
Back