Fuel Requirments??

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Alot of the stations around here sell 90 octane for the same price as 87. Is this adequate or would i need to throw a can of octane boost in there with the 90? Would deffinately be cheaper to pay $2.09 than $2.29 per gallon if its alright I don't wan't to cause any problems with it..

Jacob_Royer said:
Alot of the stations around here sell 90 octane for the same price as 87. Is this adequate or would i need to throw a can of octane boost in there with the 90? Would deffinately be cheaper to pay $2.09 than $2.29 per gallon if its alright I don't wan't to cause any problems with it..

Just get the highest octane you can buy. It's not worth the problems it may lead to in the future.

Yes, definately buy the premium grade gas. If you buy 90 octane for 20 cents per gallon less it will only save you a max of about $4.00 per FULL tank of gas. Then you spend about $3 to $5 for a bottle of octane booster that says it raises octane by 3 points. Now you have 90.3 octane rating NOT 93. In order to add enough octane booster to a tank of cheaper gas to get it up where it should be, you would spend more than buying high octane racing fuel at the drag strip.

It's a good thought.... but octane booster in a bottle is a HUGE waste of money.

Hey, just a quick question while we are on the subject of octane requirements.... Maybe this has already been answered but I will ask anyway. If th Snow alcohol injection system is used, what happens to the octane requirement? I assume (iknow, I know, ***-u-me) we could safely run lower octane fuel as the alcohol will increase the octane rating of the fuel mixture as well as cool the intake charge temp which should also lower octane requirements. Would 90 octane be safe to run with the Snow setup? I would almost think it would be recomended since running higher octane then your engine can burn causese your engine to not completele burn the charge. This all of course assumes the rest of the setup is not highly modded and blower isn't beig overdriven by 15% or more. Maybe XR7Dave can give us some words of wisdom here. What have you naticed as far as this goes Dave?

Last edited:
Back