aluminum VII rearends

Randy I think all of them do if I'm not mistaken.
I do know you run into a problem with the Cobra pumpkins because of the # of axle splines, but I believe you're safe as long as you stay with an MN12(which that Lincoln is) platform. :)

All of em

The 99 Cobra pumpkin works as well and is your best bet if you can find one. It will hav ea posi unit wheras the Mark may not.

Also unsure if there is a design difference betwene the two

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
All of em

The 99 Cobra pumpkin works as well and is your best bet if you can find one. It will hav ea posi unit wheras the Mark may not.

Also unsure if there is a design difference betwene the two

Damon don't the Cobra IRS pumpkins have 32 splines, & the markVIII
and SC Bird have 28 splines? Forgot the exact numbers.

Randy

Yea you can swap the side gears, the only ones that dont work are from a Ford Exploder, arent the Lincoln ones non Trak-Lok, I forget, or were they optional

Randy N Connie said:
Damon don't the Cobra IRS pumpkins have 32 splines, & the markVIII
and SC Bird have 28 splines? Forgot the exact numbers.

Randy

99 Cobra's have 28 splines, the rest have the 31 splines.

As someone pointed out, you can swap the side gears. The Rear in the SC is part of the family used in all of the Stang and Lincoln IRS equiped cars. Only the SC and the Lincoln got the lower spline count.

Actually the Cobra went to the 31 spline when they put the blowers on them. I just bought an IRS from an 02 and it is a 28 spline.

Well I was wanting to buy a aluminum housing.
Sanded and polish it.Then rebuild with a lower
gear for my 1990 AOD.

I remember reading about using F-150 traction-loc
parts, would these be the best parts to use for
traction-loc rebuild part?

Thanks Randy

Randy I only know the99 IRS diff will work. Unsure if any later ones are 28 spline.

The Heavy durty S clip can be used for your dif rebuild and will give you a stronger posi.

You could howveer get a later model cobra IRS and just use your side spider gears to change the spline count. I never had posi so it wasn

Randy N Connie said:
I remember reading about using F-150 traction-loc
parts, would these be the best parts to use for
traction-loc rebuild part?

Thanks Randy
Like Damon said. I used an F-150 S-spring when I rebuilt my traction-lok last year. It's held up great. It was a little challenging to get the spring to fit. I found some good articles over at Corral.net that detailed all of the steps of the rebuild...including using stainless-steel hose clamps to compress the spring far enough so it could be installed.

Kurt K said:
Like Damon said. I used an F-150 S-spring when I rebuilt my traction-lok last year. It's held up great. It was a little challenging to get the spring to fit. I found some good articles over at Corral.net that detailed all of the steps of the rebuild...including using stainless-steel hose clamps to compress the spring far enough so it could be installed.

Kurt It was a post by you that I had read about using the
F-150 parts.

Damon or anyone.
Where would be a good place to buy a complete aluminum pumpkin?
With traction lock,gear ratio ,set up heavy duty.That I can bolt-in
& play.I want my stock rear to use and a aluminum pumpkin for
dragracing.

Thanks randy

Keep in mind that the side gears on all 8.8's won't work on the SC. The retension method for the axle shafts is not the same on all. There's a grove machined into the side gear on the SC diff to support the spring lock ring.

Back