EEC Tuner uses?

SCollord90

From the look of things I need to upgrade my injectors and from what I have read I need a tuner to do it the proper/safe way. But I'd hate to spend $200 just for a one time deal so my question is what else can I do with my EEC tuner? I did a 5-speed swap, can I tell the EEC its a 5-speed?? (although without a clutch switch because mine for some reason just doesn't fit right :eek: ) If I only would be using it for injectors could I just borrow someones or give them some money to use it?

The tuner must ramin in the vehice to work, you don't tune your EEC, you intercept and change signals so to speak, at least this is my undersatanding.

You may or may not have to use it for bigger injectors, the MAF sampling tube should match the injectors, thus fooling the computer into thinking that the injectors are stock.

If you have done any modifications, or boltons, it is probably necessary to get the car tunned for optimum and even a safe A/F ratio.

If your only mods are the ones listed in your sig lines, you probably don't need bigger injectors yet. Either way, your MAF will have to be calibrated for the new injectors.

In my opinion, an eec tuner is worthless without a dyno tune, or a wideband O2 meter. I have the eec tuner and a PLX datalogging wideband O2 meter. I am in the middle of installing the eec tuner and wideband kit actually. I'm swapping dashes, and tapping into various signals, such as TPS, RPM, MAF, ACT, and such. This way I can monitor and log several things to indicate what I will need to tune. The A/F will can be adjusted by several functions of the tuner, tweaking the MAF function, among other things, will allow you to tune into a flat (and safe) A/f mitxture. The eec tuner can also change fan on and off points, as well as idle RPM, and some other stuff I prolly don't know about.

I am in the learning process myself, and some of the guys here are happy to help teach you to use it.

The other option, if you are not planning other mods, is to get a custom chip burned for you so you don't have to worry with it. Just keep in mind, every time you change something, it will likely need retuning.

There is also an SCT tunner available, which folks seem to like better and is spose to be easlier to tune, but I got my eec tuner in a package deal with some other stuff, so I went that route.

The wideband will allow me to tune without having to go pay the dyno tuner every time I make a modification.

See xr7 Dave for custom dyno tunning chips, he is actually having a tunning day in St. Louis (I think he said) sometime in the near future.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
for a 90 there isnt any files in the tuner for switching from auto to standard except idle speed in drive that i can think of and that doesnt really apply to 5 speed i never tried adjusting idle speed in drive on my 5 speed to see if it affected anything . and there is desired idle air flow in drive and neutral that about it for auto .you can change injector size engine size and adjust timing and air fuel ratios and many other things like temp fan kicks on , injector pulse width and many more for engine tuning , download the eec tuning software and open the a9u2 file , and you can see all the adjustments for 90 , i have a file that ran good in mine i acually leaned it out a good bit and got about 2 more mpg until my tuner quit now i need a new tuner , ill prob get the mn12 one next time i believe it uses the same files

Last edited:
Back