Anyone know anything about jacks?

90XR7Cougar5spd

I borrowed a floor jack from a buddy of mine so i can drop my fuel tank and drop my tranny, well the jack will only go up so far yet it has lots more travel it could go. What is the problem with this thing, i would like to fix it so i can get my work done and return it, and fix it for my buddy, dont like returning stuff to my freinds that dont work, besides the least i can do is fix it for him.

Derek

It is quite likely low on hydraulic oil. there should be a plug you can remove and add more. Just make sure you put in the right stuff. Make sure you fill it up with hydraulic jack oil.

Make sure the jack is all the way down, open or remove the plug, fill it up, replace/close the plug and try to jack it up. you MAY need to run it up and down a few times then add more to work out air bubbles.

XR7inWI said:
It is quite likely low on hydraulic oil. there should be a plug you can remove and add more. Just make sure you put in the right stuff. Make sure you fill it up with hydraulic jack oil.

Make sure the jack is all the way down, open or remove the plug, fill it up, replace/close the plug and try to jack it up. you MAY need to run it up and down a few times then add more to work out air bubbles.

Well, i tried that, was a little low not much, now it wont go up any at all, has a lot of air in it though, do i just need to bleed all the air out???

Thanks
Derek

Edit: I got the hydraulic jack oil.

If adding oil does not work than the seals are probably shot letting fluid seep by them and the jack needs to be overhauled

YAY, i got it to work finally, i just took the part the actually jacks up the car and pulled up on it and poured fluid in it at the same time. Works like a charm now. Got my gas tank down and out of the way, now to tackle the tranny, oh what fun that is.

Thanks to all that helped

Derek

doodaa said:
Is this by chance one of the Michelin jacks from Sam's Club??

Thread hijack...

I got one of those for Christmas....did your die????

Do tell, do tell...

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
Got my gas tank down and out of the way, now to tackle the tranny, oh what fun that is.
Since is sounds like you aren't using a tranny jack, get someone with some upper body strength to help you with it.. really. :cool:

TbirdSCFan said:
Since is sounds like you aren't using a tranny jack, get someone with some upper body strength to help you with it.. really. :cool:

Ive gotten it down once before and back up before by myself but it was a pain and i have quite a bit of muscle to me. But i am having one of my freinds come over to help me with it so it isnt so hard on me.

One other comment. I learned this after some head scratching when my jack wouldn't lit past a certain point. If there is air trapped, you can purge it by opening the valve and pumping the handle full travel a dozen times or so. ;)

i think he said it right to put it up some or pull it up then add fluid then when you put it down it must push the air out . ive done it several times in my garage

Hmmm

Just wondering if you knew that you could take out the tranny with out taking out the gas tank? Simple I did it with a automatic and a 5 speed.

Instead of taking down the tank to remove the drive shaft you just have to drop the differential by taking all four bolts out and then it drops enough (asuming there is no exhaust in the way) to get the drive shaft over the differential and out of the tranny might of been more work to do it this way depending on how much gas is in the tank.

Just thought I'd pass on my knowledge.

hepcat75

Back