Upgrade! Street/strip valve body and TrickFlow deep tranny pan, 255lph fuel pump...

metalman

It felt like I beat an Enemy Boss on Mario Bros. Ya know that feeling of 'getting to the next level'.

This is the first of many upgrades that constitutes my summer project.

So far after removing my fuel tank, exhaust system, and driveshaft. I had to replace the main tranny seal that was leaking. I put in the 255 fuel pump. And today I install a street/strip valve body from Perfomance Automatic http://www.performanceautomatic.com Not a company which is spoken about much on this board, but they are all over the mustang mags for trannys, v-bodys, etc... A nice and easy completely bolt on part. Just a crap load of bolts to remove. Plus I installed the sweet TrickFlow deep tranny pan that has the ever coveted "Drain Plug" and holds an extra quart of tranny fluid.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the driveshaft to the shop to get cut and balanced and start removing the differential and upper and lower control arms to replace them with aluminum ones as well as replacing ALL the bushings and mounts and a pinion brace from the MN12 Performance's Wheel Hop Eliminator Kit, Vogtland lowering springs, and tokico shocks.

Word!

Metalman

BTW-Check out the Perfomance Automatic site. Have any of you heard of them? What do you think of there product?

Anthony, right when I got back I installed a Lentech Street Terminator valve body in my transmission. I have heard of PA but they don't get talked about here. I hope you enjoy it. Remember to set the TV pressure correctly. Mine wasn't shifting right until I followed the procedure on TCCoA. My tv cable had slack in it and has been like that for 2 years since I had a shop install my transgo kit. I did the install myself and did it right this time. I only trust myself to work on my car.

Scott,
What kind of difference did you have with the new valve body?

This was the first mod to my tranny. The only other thing I've done is change the filter. I was surprised/glad how easy of a mod this was. The longest part of it was letting the fluid drain out. Being that I wasn't using my stock pan anymore, I just popped a hole in it with a center punch to drain it. :D

Does anybody else know about Peformance Automatics around here?

Later,
Metalman

Anthony, I did the same thing and put a hole in the pan to drain it. I let it drain over night. The hardest part for me was holding the valve body up with one hand while laying under my car on a towel, while trying to align the gear linkage shaft into the grove on the slide in the valve body. I must have had to try 3 times. Once I got a bolt in to hold it up it wasn't bad.

I kept my stock pan but enlarged the hole w/ a 1/2 inch drill bit and installed the B&M drain plug kit. I also got the new filter and replaced the gasket.

As for the difference. Well you never did get a ride in my car when I was there due to me having to run back to work that day you were at the dyno. Mine shifted pretty nice before, not harsh, but just a little bump when it shifted. Now that was with a misadjusted TV cable, so I don't know how much harder it would have shifted. But I sold that valve body because I wanted on that would run out 2nd gear longer and hit harder. So that brings me to the Lentech. I now have manual control of it and can hold any gear. It shifts 5x harder than my transgo did, and it will get rubber in 2nd and 3rd gear upshifts. If I am lightly on the gas like 1/8 throttle it will hit 2nd and third pretty harsh, but if I'm on like 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it smoothes out the gear shift a little less harsh but it still jars you back in the seat. It took a while to get used to it, but I love it. I always know what gear its in, I know when its going to shift, and it shifts with authority. My next trans mods will be a deep pan and a tranny cooler. I want to get a 2400 rpm stall convertor and 3.73 gears, but not until I get the car painted. That is my priority besides new tires.

Scott Long said:
The hardest part for me was holding the valve body up with one hand while laying under my car on a towel, while trying to align the gear linkage shaft into the grove on the slide in the valve body.

Yea, I did it myself too and that part was a pain. But I took it a step further. I tightened all 25 bolts down AND THEN realized I didn't align the linkage. So, I had loosened all the bolts just enought to where the valve body hung to get the linkage shaft in place and then retightened it. I hate doing things twice :rolleyes:

I just took my differential out to day and went to the junkyard. Monday I'm gonna get the spring perches fabricated and get the differential housing swapped out with the aluminum one and all setup. I also think I'm gonna bite the bullet and a get a real deal aluminum driveshaft.

Like I said, I went to the J/Y today and pulled an Almnm shaft out of an Aerostar and I found a Police Crown Vic shaft as well as the Mark 8 two piece shaft I already have and they all weight within pounds of eachother. Nothing to make a difference from the stock steel shaft that I felt. Now, I just put them on a bathroom scale to get a ballpark idea but they all were between 16-18 lbs. A REAL one piece shaft should weigh half that or more, right?

OH, speaking of the day we met up for the dyno...I finally cut my #14. It runs cool as hell now!

Later,
Anthony

Back