5 speed swap ?

phyxius

5 speed swap ?'s

i did a swap in my 91 and was wondering why you need to swap eec's.is it realy neccessary.i did a search but there was way to much to sift through just for my answer.

Last edited:
i know 89 and 90 seem the same for auto and standard ive used my one in the other and noticed no difference , i believe 91 is the same

you dont need to swap EEC's... if its a 89-93 you dont have to swap the EEC's. Just bolt on the stuff and ur done. If it is a 94-95 U have to swap EEC's with a 5- SPEED EEC because the AOD TRANSMISSION is COMPUTER CONTROLLED.

THe only reason you would want to switch EEC's on a 89-93 bird is if you are taking EGR and bolting it also on your car. Otherwise you dont need the 5-SPEED EEC on a 89-93... COMPRENDE?

I currently did this on my 91. I converted it STICK SHIFT. All you need is the physical things. Like the wire harness and pedal and stuff. Nothing to do with the EEC.

another ? about the swap. i have an unusual throttle hang, when shifting the RPM dosen't drop quick it just hangs there for a sec or 2.is this normal or is there some thing i am missing.

supposively it does it on 5speeds also... it does it on my swap too... its a lil bit irritating but i dont know. wont get much help here from these guys about that. i sure didnt!

Well.....I am pretty new to the SC scene. But I can tell you that on a 5.0 mustang, the auto and 5 sp computer are different (even if the same year). Had a friend that swapped out his AOD with a 5 speed without changing computers. Not only did he have the "throttle hang" when shifting, but when he put the correct 5 speed computer in, He dropped over a half a second off his E.T. Like I said, I don't know if the SC computer works like the stang, but if you look at the mustang 5 speed swap kits, they usually include a new computer. Gotta be for a reason, right?

well... i think the reason about the computer swap on a SC is because of the EGR as most will describe it. If you install it on a AOD and dont have EGR you will get a CEL light... but i dont know for sure... I dont really like that throttle hang it is annoying and its kinda pointless when your going down hill and leave in nuetral because you are trying to save gasoline and with that it keeps the throttle hanging until you come to a complete stop... But i will see if i can get my hands on a 5 speed ECU and see if i have any problems.. or unless you can delete the EGR from the ECU with a CHIP!

Back