Shortening shift arm

L/F 93 man

I want to shorten my shift arm. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this or if there is an aftermarket arm i can buy.

L/F 93 man said:
I want to shorten my shift arm. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this or if there is an aftermarket arm i can buy.
I am pretty sure b&m makes a short throw shifter for our cars but I am not sure about any other compaines.

It shortens the throw, not the height of the handle. I put a t-handle knob on mine and I have the stock arm with the B&M ripper base. I have seen some guys cut about two inches out of the handle and then have it welded back together. It takes a little more muscle to shift it though since you are shortening your lever. You know "physics". When you shorten the lever you need to increase the amount of force to get the same result.

yeah i already have a b&m ripper shifter. i just wanted to shorten the arm 1 to 2 inches. i know it would take a little more strength but i dont mind.

I Put A Ripper In My Car And Went To My Local Mustang Shop And Bought A Pro 5.0 Shifter Handle, Then Cut The Base End Of It Down And Redrilled The Two Mounting Holes To Bolt It To The Shifter. You Can Also Change The Angle Of The Shifter Depending On Where You Cut And Drill. I Noticed A Little Increase In Required Leverage To Shift, But Not Enough To Make Me Regret It.

acb92sc said:
I Put A Ripper In My Car And Went To My Local Mustang Shop And Bought A Pro 5.0 Shifter Handle, Then Cut The Base End Of It Down And Redrilled The Two Mounting Holes To Bolt It To The Shifter. You Can Also Change The Angle Of The Shifter Depending On Where You Cut And Drill. I Noticed A Little Increase In Required Leverage To Shift, But Not Enough To Make Me Regret It.
cool man thanks for the info. i heard of people putting those in there cars but i did not want it to bend back like the mustang does. so if i drill it right i can make it straight.

Hurst T-handle

Scott Long said:
I put a t-handle knob on mine and I have the stock arm with the B&M ripper base.
The Hurst T-handle is about 1.5" shorter than the OEM shift knob. I didn't notice any increase in shift effort, but my shifts were alot quicker. As an added benefit, you can get it with a thumb button ;) for anything you care to hook it up to.

68COUGAR

Back