Tranny cooler... Which type??????????

AlanEdwards

Transmission cooler... Which type??????????

I've got a '94 SC. I shopped around for a tranny cooler today and found 2 types. One has the lines that are the same size as the car's tranny fluid lines running back and forth through the fins several times. The other has about 10 separate thin flat lines that run through the fins, from one side of the cooler to the other. Which one is going to be better?

Also, what's the largest cooler that will fit and not be TOO BIG? From what I read here, I shouldn't bypass the radiator. Is that true? And, if I still use the radiator, do I put the cooler before or after the radiator?

And, where should I mount the cooler? I mean, the bottom right, bottom left, attached to the radiator, setting away from the radiator, or what? Thanks.

Last edited:
i have a 19000lb. B&M stacked plate cooler, they are better than the conventional coolers. i bypassed the radiator and ran the line directly to it, then mounted it out in front of the rad, my temp stays around 165 and get to about 180 when hot.

I use the 24000 lb B&M stacked plate on my 94 wih the rad. cooler bypassed. I have that same cooler on my truck too. I don't think you are going to find a better one for the money.

OK, I found a stacked plate cooler at Advanced Auto Parts and it can be here tomorrow after they order it. It's 3/4 x 11 3/8 x 11 for $50 or a 3/4 x 7 1/2 x 11 for $45. I hear and believe the B&M is the best, but I need to get one now. I don't have time for mail order. What do you guys think about these that I found? Is the bigger one too big to fit in front of the radiator? Is it so big that it might effect the radiator and cooling with the car? Should I just go with the smaller one that's only 7 inches tall? Thanks.

Last edited:
The small one is pretty close to the size of the B&M I use. That size is pretty easy to find a mounting spot for.
Tha big one is probably too big to easily mount anywhere.

SCme94 said:
That size is pretty easy to find a mounting spot for.

Thanks David, Tony, and Zimmer.

Tony,

Would you suggest that I mount the cooler up against the radiator/condensor, or should I mount it a bit off of them, like behind the bumper? And which corner is best, lower left or lower right (my left is the drivers side)? Anyone else's opinions would be welcome too of coarse. Thanks much.

I also have a few questions about this

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=4294924500+4294839034+4294888847

once that page loads click +compare as i alrady went through all of them, those ones seem to be around the same price, but im wondering which one is the best? I really dont know much abotu tranny coolers, but it doesnt seem to hard, bigger the better, but which way do you want it to be bigger? And would a fan be helpful mounted on the cooler?

Tyler

I have mine mounted to the passenger side of the condenser with the fittings pointng toward the passenger side and it hasn't really caused any trouble.
There is plenty of room there too.

I LOVE YOUR CAR TONY!!!!

just thought id tell you agian, so that in your will you can............well you know the details :D

Tyler

I've got a '94 with the original factory E4OD tranny in it. I'm at 102K miles and just rebuilt the engine and am about to add a 11 x 7 x 3/4 inch stacked plate tranny cooler from Advanced Auto Parts. Upon reinstalling the engine I drained the tranny complete, even the TC, and put in all new fluid. When draining the old fluid, it was pretty and red, no particles whatsoever.

Thinking about the law of averages, with me adding the cooler in a couple of days, how long do you think I can expect the tranny to last? Thanks much.

Look up on EBay "Long 40k GVW" ... I can beat my car to death & it won't the trans temp gauge won't go past 152*.

Anthony

AlanEdwards said:
Isn't that too cool though? I'm told that fluid thats too cool can actually damage the tranny.

Alan,

IMO, and that of several performance transmission companies, it isn't possible to over cool the transmission unless you live in an artic climate. The bigger the cooler the better.

David

Back