centrifical on SC?

speedfreak

Has anyone ever used a centrifical supercharger on an SC? Just wondered how it might run. I know some low end torque would be lost. Maybe a cam swap, some ported heads, NA lower intake, boxed upper? Sounds like a good recipe to me. Some of those 03/04 cobra guys are ditching the Eatons and going centrifical and making big gains. Would it be the same for the SC, if you could get it to rev? Just curious.

Several V6 pony boys have applied centrifugal superchargers,
you should find some interesting reading at
http://v6power.net/forum/
also a couple of vortech V6s on TCCOA forums.

Personally, i can't SCee spending the bucks to experiment with a centrifugal,
when Dalke's Autorotor setup is available, and well worked out by a guy that really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
speedfreak said:
Has anyone ever used a centrifical supercharger on an SC? Just wondered how it might run. I know some low end torque would be lost. Maybe a cam swap, some ported heads, NA lower intake, boxed upper? Sounds like a good recipe to me. Some of those 03/04 cobra guys are ditching the Eatons and going centrifical and making big gains. Would it be the same for the SC, if you could get it to rev? Just curious.

I was thinking there were some on TCCoA that has done a 3.8 NA this way. You should make some good power with one, and as for making it twist up really good, part of the problem is that heat pump on top of the motor. It just is not very effective past about 5000/5500 without some work on it.

Now price, I think an AR will be a better fit vs. the centrifical style, just to help get the ol gal up and running with all this 3800 to 4100 lbs that it has to carry. Todd Jelle's made 420hp/45tork with one the other day with peak around 6000-6200. I need to win the lotto or get out of the SC stuff before the wife kills me....

Heat pump? What do you mean? Ive heard people refer to the M90 as a "heat pump", is that what you are talking about or is there actually something on the motor that is called a heat pump? I always thought that the roots type blowers were put on factory cars, because of their reliablility or durability. I thought the centrifical superchargers were more effecient, less drag off of the motor, and run cooler....therefore produce more power. I am guessing that most of the 3.8 NA guys that have done this have just been bolting on a supercharger and running like 6 to 8 lbs of boost. Just wondereing what would happen with an SC, having much lower compression ratio to start with. I guess what I am asking is...........if you take an SC that is running 15lbs of boost with an M90, then compare with the same car running a ProCharger(or whatever) at 15lbs of boost, which will be overall more powerful?

speedfreak said:
Heat pump? What do you mean? Ive heard people refer to the M90 as a "heat pump", is that what you are talking about or is there actually something on the motor that is called a heat pump? I always thought that the roots type blowers were put on factory cars, because of their reliablility or durability. I thought the centrifical superchargers were more effecient, less drag off of the motor, and run cooler....therefore produce more power. I am guessing that most of the 3.8 NA guys that have done this have just been bolting on a supercharger and running like 6 to 8 lbs of boost. Just wondereing what would happen with an SC, having much lower compression ratio to start with. I guess what I am asking is...........if you take an SC that is running 15lbs of boost with an M90, then compare with the same car running a ProCharger(or whatever) at 15lbs of boost, which will be overall more powerful?

Oh yes, the M-90 is what I was refering to as a heat pump. And you are correct as to why these are offered on factory cars. That little bit of torque loss at the bottom end with the centrifical SC, IMO, would not be worth the extra up top, seeing as the auto rotors are producing great torque down low and still able to pull to around 6500. Now this would be on a modded car, I don't think a stock cam car would pull that high with any SC, but I may be wrong ... won't be the first or last time, today even.... :p If it was a "race" car only then the extra up top vs. loss of torque down low maybe ok, as you could runn a steeper rear gear to makeup for it some.

If you want to do it, by all means give it a go. It seems the "in the box" thinking on what to do to as SC has really hit the peak, so a ProCharger or something else may be the next way to go...

thanks for the input. I'm just trying to explore my options right now. I first thought about converting to a 331 small block (I keep thinking of the low mileage 92 5.0 motor, that I am doing nothing with), but IMO it wouldn't be a Super Coupe anymore. I thought about going with a turbo setup, then I would have to call it a Turbo Coupe....lol. I'm definately keeping the 3.8, and It's definately gonna stay supercharged. I just want to do something different. I've got a friend that has a cogged YS trim sitting around doing nothing, but I think that would be a little much for what i am aiming for.

Back