trans or just the shifter

needlessthing

Ok so tonight I am driving around with a freind of mine. I go to pull into his driveway and miss 2nd like a moron. Alittle bit of a grind and then nothing. Step on the gas and it doesnt Engage. THen I notice that the shifter is all bent weird. Like it is leaning back a bit. And now I cant shift into anything. Shifter actually can spin and move it up and down a bit. I can get it into first with alittle twisting and turning. Please tell me all I did was mess up my shifter and not the trans....I really cant efford a rebuild. I orded a B&M Short Shifter a few nights ago so it wont be a big deal if it is just eh shifter but the not knowing is killing me.

RE- Shifter

Your screws came loose on top of your shifter. You have to pull your console and boot toget down to your shifter after you remove every thing you will see the top of your tran. and the loose screws or missing. Pull your shifter out and stick a screw driver down in the hole where the shifter gos and put it in neutral and re assemble your shifter bye Instaling it back in the slot and tighting the screws Then make sure it shifts. I bought my 89 that would not shift I paid him for the car and fixed it in his drive way and drove away. I bet he was pissed after I left but thats the way it go's. best of LUCK!!!!!!

Last edited:
do I need any special Tools to get the old shifter out? I would at the very least like to see if I can get the old one to work again while I wait for my short shifter. It has barely been 10 hours and I miss her already. I feel like my girl friend didnt come home last night and I am sitting here wondering where she is.

RE- Shifter

The only tools you will need to get the shifter back tight is is a torx or a star driver I think it's a t-15 or t-20. I would have to go out to my storge place and see what size it is I will post after 6 pm to let you know the size I have a spare 5 speed there with a shifter. Good Luck!!!

Back