chargeing problems

guttercat

haveing some problems with the chargeing system new batt, new alt,(had tested before bringing home) new wireing harness? the wires from the alt.
still when i pull the pos cable off the battery the car dies where do i look next

What exactly is it doing, draining the batter or what? If its draining the battery then you might wanna try changing the starter, call me crazy but i work at autozone and ive had a couple of people come in with the same problem and they changed the starter and that fixed the problem, sometimes there is a short the starter that causes that. Just my opinion

Derek

thanks for the replie.
we after you drive for awhile the battery is dead. like i said we replaced the
alt, battery, and the harness from the alt, the old alt tested bad thought
for sure that was the problem but it wasnt also if you pull the pos cable off
while the car is running it dies.

Last edited:
Get a volt/ohm meter, or a buddy with one and test things yourself.

Hook your battery up to a charger and charge it for a few hours. Then check it. It should read right around 12v. Then start the car and check the voltage at the battery. It should be between 13.8 and 14.2 volts.

just swapping parts without doing diagnosis is a waste of money.

If the voltage when running is at the right level and you're still having this problem, you'll need to check the current load on the battery. You'll need a shop to do that as your meter won't have proper wire sizes to measure the current.

Many people have ended up with dead alternators from the parts store.

problem fixed.
there was a harness going to the ign switch that wasnt fully connected
thanks everyone that responded

Last edited:
Back