head gaskets????

tjbird

hi guys i need a little help, yesterday when i parked my car at my house i noticed a little bubbling sound coming from the coolant reservoir, so i thought the car was overheating and the coolant was almost overfloating from the reservoir, i checked the fan, the gauge and everything seems ok, i recently replaced the thermostat the water pump and temp sending unit, so i am thinking of a head gasket problem, i also noticed a little knockin and very small loss of power on 3rd gear (automatic) on a hill yesterday, but there is no sign of smoke from the tailpipes, any ideas??? :confused:

Did you recently replace the coolant, because that could just be some trapped air 'burping' from the system. You can also check for any oil residue in the coolant and vice versa in the engine oil. I recall people like AutoZone sell a test strip you can put in the coolant to test for the presence of oil. Cylinder #3 is the one famous for gasket failure because of the close proximity of the coolant passage to the cylinder; so you could check # 2 & 3 plugs to see if there is any difference. Plus you could also do a compression/leak-down test on # 3 as well.
Good luck.

thanks Joisey Jim i did replace the coolant but didnt let the air purged out, i replaced the pump aprox. 2 months ago with no problems or leaks, could it be a problem that is coming up recently if i didnt let the air out :confused: ??, thanks. i hope i dont have to tear down half the engine again :eek:

Mine was doing this and it ended up being the radiator cap. Basically the cap wont stand the pressure anymore, and lets the really hot coolant into your resevoir where it boils. It wont boil in the actuall radiator. $7 fix, and no more problems.

bad rear end?

thanks a lot guys you are always a big help, i went to my local parts store and no more overflowing, maybe i was a little nervous :p , ok guys one more thing :D , just a couple of drives ago i noticed that i feel a kind of loose feeling from my right rear wheel, it kind of feels like the wheel is not moving at the same rpm that the other one and somethimes i feel like it over revs and almost spins me out of control it only does it when i am goin above about 40mph and turning to the right, its a very weird feeling, maybe somebody had a similar problem and can explain it better ;) , i am thinkin of a bad right cv joint or rear end. any sugestions ill greatly apreciate again. thanks

Back