How to tell gear ratio by speed in SC?

Bigme574

Okay, I am quite sure that my newer SC revs higher in respective gears compared to my old SC. I am wondering if anyone with stock 273's can post their speed relative to their RPM's such that I can tell if I have stock gears or some other problem. I am just under 2000 RPM's in 5th gear at 50 MPH for reference, and just over 2 at 60.

Thanks for looking...I need to see if my gas mileage of 12-24 is caused by higher gears.

Aaron

Just in case no one can help with this matter, there's another easy way to determine your rear gear ratio.

Get the rear of the car up on jackstands, place the car in neutral, and count how many times the driveshaft/pinion spins with one revolution of the tire.

2 3/4 turns = 2.73's
3 1/4 turns = 3.27's

and so on.

-Rod

racecougar said:
Just in case no one can help with this matter, there's another easy way to determine your rear gear ratio.

Get the rear of the car up on jackstands, place the car in neutral, and count how many times the driveshaft/pinion spins with one revolution of the tire.

2 3/4 turns = 2.73's
3 1/4 turns = 3.27's

and so on.

-Rod
thats the best way to do it. but make sure both tires are off the ground or you will get twice as many rotations.

Back