Timing adjustment??

Lintlars

Hi I am new to the super coupe world Im actually working on a friends car and hes got alot of mods larger injectors,fuel pump,intake exhaust the intake housing ,headers,AFPR Hes getting alot of pinging under moderate throttle but goes away after 4000rpmish I know that it says that the timing is not adjustable but I was wondering if theres anyway to take away some timing I took away some fuel the Fuel pressure was set at 50 idle and 70 under WOT I turned it back to 35 idle and 50 WOT and the AFR are now at 11.7 under WOT But is still pings just a bit is there anyway to even check the timing to make sure it is set right?? Thanks for your time I am using the LM-1 to take AFR measurments One more thing it runs very hot you can not even touch the super charger intake after 10 min of flogging is this normal??

Oh ya I did search but came up with nothing.

Last edited:
The only thing I know of is the fuel. Someone else will have to help you from there. What octane are you running? When I 1st bought my SC I ran regular. Then I found out about the super requirement. If you're running the regular unleaded, 1st try high octane, then go from there. Good luck.

AlanEdwards said:
The only thing I know of is the fuel. Someone else will have to help you from there. What octane are you running? When I 1st bought my SC I ran regular. Then I found out about the super requirement. If you're running the regular unleaded, 1st try high octane, then go from there. Good luck.

We have tried 92 octane with NOS brand octane boost but still have the same problem I run this same combo in my Supra at 20psi and works great so theres some other issues that we have to work out here. When we first started his timing was out 180 deg it ran like crap ping all the time its better now but not quite 100%

No one that I know has actually looked at moving the cam sensor AND tuned the car at the same time. There are a few guys here, Manny for one that turns his and says it acts like a dist when he adjusts it. Advance for lower and retard for upper. As far as the heat is concerned, good luck if your running the stock IC. Mine is the same way and I even have a fan. I dont think I could run it in the day here in MO and be able to touch it half an hour later. The cooling system in the car is sub par as well. If you wanna fix that, contact Mike38 and he will have all your answers...for the price.

Chris

Larger injectors throw off load calculations in the EEC. The only way to fix this is with a chip or tuning device. MAF meter's fool the EEC into thinking that less air is moving through the motor thus reducing injector pulsewidth. This works ok in most cases but sometimes it will present problems as the EEC will be looking at light load spark tables instead of the heavier load you are actually at. This is a particular problem with the 94-95 SC's.

You can try pulling the octane plug, this will retard timing 4 deg and may fix your problem.

Back