Going to rebuild soon, what are my options?

moore89

Soon I may be rebuilding my 35th SC's engine. The reason for this is when I did the HG's I saw some very light scratches in one of the cylinders walls. I am wondering what my rebilding options are. I want to go with a bigger cam but don't really want to go with a regrind are there any other options? And I plan on adding a ported 94/95 supercharger and running nitrous. Would forged pistons be necessary or are hypereutetic sufficient? My goal for the car is low 13's eventually, altough I would love high 12's. Any one got a recomended combo of parts for this? Any insight, ideas or opinions welcome.

Sounds like you are on the right track but you need to start by opening up the exhaust or you will blow your HGs again when you step up your boost. I do not know the answer to your piston question.

Chris

If you want the motor to be reliable, I'd go with forged pistons when running nitros. I feel the hypereutic are strong enough to deal with the power, but the stock replacement design isn't optimized for the power necessary to get into the upper 12's. The upper ring land is narrow and due to the brittle nature of the hypereutic piston it's likely that it could break off at the RPM's and pressure necessary for that.

The benefit of the forged pistons are that they are basically custom (though Eagle has some standard forged pistons available) so you can make sure the piston is built for what you want to do. It also allows you then to use a stronger connecting rod, one of the weaker components in the stock bottom end.

Comp Cams has new billet blanks for our cam, check with XR7 Dave (e-mail him) for ideas on grind.

Back