Harmonic Balancer Question

Zoran89SC

I'm looking to replace the harmonic balancer/vibration damper on my 89 5-speed before it's too late. Ford is asking $400+ but fordpartsonline.com is $167. Has anyone tried the fordpartsonline one. I'm working on a budget, but I don't want any cheap parts. Thanks.

Zoran89SC said:
I'm looking to replace the harmonic balancer/vibration damper on my 89 5-speed before it's too late. Ford is asking $400+ but fordpartsonline.com is $167. Has anyone tried the fordpartsonline one. I'm working on a budget, but I don't want any cheap parts. Thanks.

Not exactly what you are asking here, but I got one about a month ago from a friend that works for a Ford dealer, and payed right at $170 with a new crank bolt. He said his list price was just over $400 as well. So OEM equipment can be had for that price.

Let me just say that I'm on my 4th balancer. The stock unit will break again.

I will be replacing it with the bhj unit.

Balancer question

I am looking at a 92 SC and noticed the crank pully/balancer seems to be moving up and down,(almost vibrating). It makes the lower belt tensioner bounce up and down a little bit, but does not seem to resonate through the engine at all. Could this mean the balancer is geting ready to go?

i broke 2 stock ones first one broke bolt and all and fell off , second one just broke and twisted were it wouldnt even go up hill ,and tried to get a new ford one i thought they said discontinued so i got a bhj from paul at bluetongue mototorsports.com around 360 bucks and im glad its been fine ever since it does seem heavier and revs slower but sowhat at least its bullit prooof . soon i will need another one for my other sc but my stock one on my standard lasted 215 thousand miles , my auto only has 94 k miles on it

Last edited:
bigsc said:
I am looking at a 92 SC and noticed the crank pully/balancer seems to be moving up and down,(almost vibrating). It makes the lower belt tensioner bounce up and down a little bit, but does not seem to resonate through the engine at all. Could this mean the balancer is geting ready to go?

Yes it could.

David

Im in the process of replacing mine with a BHJ balancer. My problem is that the damper broke at the nose. While pulling the old one off, the rest of the damper is still on the crank. Does anybody know how to pull the rest of the damper off the crank that broke?

Also...im looking for someone who know about the brake system. I need to replace the brake replay, but cant find it. Can you help me out??

Zoran89SC said:
Ok work this into your budget stock balancer = possible broken crank shaft or bhj balancer= HAPPY SC :D :) :D

Justin89SC said:
Im in the process of replacing mine with a BHJ balancer. My problem is that the damper broke at the nose. While pulling the old one off, the rest of the damper is still on the crank. Does anybody know how to pull the rest of the damper off the crank that broke?

Also...im looking for someone who know about the brake system. I need to replace the brake replay, but cant find it. Can you help me out??

The same thing happened to me, i drilled 1 hole on the part of the balancer that is stuck inside of their, i drilled 1 hole on each side of the crank, pput some cheap skinny screws on both sides, and it pulled right out, if this dosent make sense let me know

Back