Test my MAF?

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
Here's the problem: Car starts and idles just fine. When you give it any throttle or even WOT the car just wants to die and chug, and will not get above 2000 rpm's. When I disconnect the MAF plug it revs great and sounds normal. Plug the MAF back in and it does the same thing with no engine revving. This sounds like the opposite of what conditions I should get, but how do I check the MAF and what should a good/bad reading look like?

Which pins are used to connect to the Multimeter?

Need to get it figured out pretty quick.

Thanks,
Smitty

You aint got a vac leak somewhere do ya???

Make sure a hose didn't come off...

Mine did about the same thing with a few vac leaks when I first got it...

A Vac leak would give a rough idle, but it idles perfect. Just doesn't rev when you apply gas pedal with the MAF hooked up. Works great when I disconnect the MAFs, and still idles just fine.

Then why would it rev just fine even under a load/normal driving with leaking IC Tubes, with the MAF unplugged from car? It would certainly stumble then. That problem I have seen before. This doesn't act the same.

i'm having the same problem except mine won't idle either. i thought it was a bad maf at first, but i tried 3 other mafs i had laying around, and all of them did the same thing. i checked the voltages on all of them and they responded the same. in my case i'm thinking it's the eec- it's more than 15 years old, and it's probably time to replace it. i have the original eec for a '90 sc, and the strange thing about my problem is that it's not throwing any codes when it's acting up. all the other sensors and relays on my car are still good.

but just like yours, i can unplug the maf and it'll run and idle fine.

Last edited:
maf test

terminal a b should have 10.5 volts with engine running
term c d engine running

idle 0.60 volts
20 mph 1.10 v
40 mph 1.70 v
60 mph 2.10 v
except up to 1995 97 4.6
96 97 3.8 engines

Back