Exhaust questions

BWS

Have had the XR for a few weeks now.....thanks to this sites fantastic search engine the pwr window fix was a breeze.Doin a bunch of maintenance stuff as well as minor bodywork.Hope to finish machining the new shifter today.Anyhow this is a little embarrasing........haven't even looked at the exhaust on this car.Done a bunch of searches on this site and am now more confused than before.But in anycase.............will be taking the XR down to a buddies pro muffler shop to have him throw it up on the lift.Now correct me if wrong and give any insight to the following.I'm gonna be assesing whats presently under the car.Basically a stock SC system should be a cpl cast manifolds goin into some BS downtubes.....each with an O2......throw a cpl. cats in......then the system Y's into some long azz resonater.....heads rearward.....then Ys and has 2 mufflers.Does that pretty much sum up a stock system.Hoping my bud can tell what brand all this stuff is.Thanks for any help,best of luck,BW

BWS said:
Have had the XR for a few weeks now.....thanks to this sites fantastic search engine the pwr window fix was a breeze.Doin a bunch of maintenance stuff as well as minor bodywork.Hope to finish machining the new shifter today.Anyhow this is a little embarrasing........haven't even looked at the exhaust on this car.Done a bunch of searches on this site and am now more confused than before.But in anycase.............will be taking the XR down to a buddies pro muffler shop to have him throw it up on the lift.Now correct me if wrong and give any insight to the following.I'm gonna be assesing whats presently under the car.Basically a stock SC system should be a cpl cast manifolds goin into some BS downtubes.....each with an O2......throw a cpl. cats in......then the system Y's into some long azz resonater.....heads rearward.....then Ys and has 2 mufflers.Does that pretty much sum up a stock system.Hoping my bud can tell what brand all this stuff is.Thanks for any help,best of luck,BW
That pretty much sums up the factory exhaust except you forgot to include the nasty bends around the early-style gas tank. If you are completely replacing the factory exhaust, I would try and find a 92 and newer gas tank so you can straighten out the exhaust.

Thanks Kurt for headsup on tank!Exhausts aren't sniffed in tech here,so cats may have to go_One less potential problem to deal with.

Back