Odemeter and trip odemeter stuck!

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
The other day my odemeter and trip odemeter stuck! i can reset the trip and run a whole tank of gas and maybe rack up 10 miles! the speedometer works fine except every once in awhile you will take off and it will stick on zero till you hit 20mph or so and it jumps up where it is supposed to be.. A light tap on the dash seems to correct this.. Any idea's on how to fix this?? Thanks.

sticker

theres a sticker inside the cluster that will come off in time, wedge itself inbetween the gears, and cause the problem youre having-take it apart and clean the speedometer. Mike

Thanks for the information this weekend i will take her apart and check it out.. Is it much trouble to get the instrument cluster out? Should i pick up a haynes manual before attempting it or is it pretty straight forward?

Cluster is easy...one of the few things that is.. :rolleyes: Take off the Bezel two top screws and 4 bottom..(the plastic surround on the dash) and take the 4 scews that hold the corners of the cluster loose..then on each side at the back of the cluster you will have a rectangular plug where the wiring harness plugs in unplug those..then carefully unplug the small Vacuum line from behind the boost gauge...rock the top backward and carefully work it out...take the clear plastic face off the cluster and unplug the speedo from the cluster...it just plugs on..careful when taking the speedo apart cause the little gears that run the OD get real fragile and break easy...hope this helps

Rick

P.S. you may not need to but if you do have to pull the needle off the speedo use a fork to pry it up but be very careful these things can stick and you can break it if you are not carefull.. :(

Last edited:
If you are only going to remove the speedometer, I wouldn't worry about removing the whole cluster and messing with the vaccuum line for the boost gauge. Just take the lens off the cluster and then pull out the speedometer.

Also, I usually remove the trim around the steering wheel before I remove the trim piece on the dash, although I don't know if you have to do that--it's just easy to do on an early model. Be careful when removeing the trim piece as there are spring clips that hold most of it to the dash (and the 2 screws that are under the top lip of the dash). I managed to break a few of the tabs that hold the spring clips during the numerous removals over the years.

You will also need a little screwdriver to remove the headlight switch knob. Pull the knob out and look for a slit. If you look carefully, there is a piece of metal that goes across the slit (part of another type of spring clip). Use the screwdriver to push the clip away from the end of the knob, while lightly pulling the knob. The knob will slide off. Now turn off your headlights.

Of course the above information is for early model SC's and I didn't look to see if you listed the year of your car before I typed all of the info.

Back