A/C Charging....

Sweet90SC

Hey when I want to charge the A/C system and it still has alot of pressure in it but little freon should I discharge the system first before I recharge with new R134a....and whats the best way to discharge it if I do???

Thanks Rick

Sweet90SC said:
Hey when I want to charge the A/C system and it still has alot of pressure in it but little freon should I discharge the system first before I recharge with new R134a....and whats the best way to discharge it if I do???

Thanks Rick

Just bring the dang thing to my house, I have 3 30lb bottles of R134a. :D

Seroiusly, need to evacuate and recharge system for a full effect. Let is sit on a vac pump for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour and then fill, should be nice and popicle like out the vents.

If it was mine I would have done that already... :D ....It's an LX of a lady I work with...er...used to work with... :(

Well if you want to do it environmentally correctly, take it to a shop and have the freon/r12 reclaimed. If you plan to recharge with r134a, probably due to the cost of freon, then you should have the system flushed, or get a kit to flush it yourself, and add in 6oz of PAG. While you're at it, its a really good idea to replace all the Orings as they are the cause of most leaks and leaks are the reason you're low on freon to begin with.

Do a search on A/C repair and read some on the topic. There are poor, good, and better ways to do the job. If you DIY, you should have a set of guages, hoses, and a vaccuum pump. Another alternative is to take it in and have that part done. :)

If the fittings have a red and blue cap, no threads on the outside, and have a ridge/groove for a clamp-on hose, then its r134a. If instead the fittings have a black cap and look like an overside bicycle tube stem, with thread on the outside, then its r12. :)

Back