high idle?

speedfreak

today on my way home my car started to idle very high (like 3k). It was almost as if the throttle cable stuck, but its not. It idles this high with the throttle body all the way in its idle, resting position. I have been having problems with my IAC (honking when I shut it off), but even when I unplug it, the car just idles up and down for a couple seconds then goes back to 3k. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the place with the motor running, but could not find a vaccum leak. I have another SC that I am not driving right now, that I could temporarily rob parts from, but I don't want to waist my time changing parts, without consulting with some of you seasoned veterans first...........thanks

I thought that might be the problem. I had one stick closed on a 5.0 stang, and another stick closed on my wife's old 99 explorer, but never had one stick open (i am assuming thats whats going on) I'll take the one of my other SC tomorrow and make sure, before I spend the $85 or whatever outrageous price they cost now. ...........while on that subject, should I get a new one from Ford or are the ones from Auto Zone acceptable? I am assuming they are more expensive through Ford.

92strokedbird said:
I paid $75 for mine through Auto Zone,works like a charm. :)
Please post the P/N; Azone used to carry the wrong part for this application. I could only find the correct one at Ford.. Pepboys, Oriellys, Autozone, and Napa all had a listing for the SC which was the wrong part.

For those who are wondering what the difference is, 99% of the aftermarket replacements (Borg Warner for example) were required to be installed 180 degrees off from the original in order to work. The SC oil filler tube will not allow this. Its not just that it can do the job, but it must also fit!

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm an impatient sob. Spinning-Wheels has 'em for $69 buckos, so I ordered it. I figure it's been doing it for a few days now, so what's a couple more.

Ira

Last edited:
The carb cleaner will mess up the IAC if you sprayed inside the throttle body. It will cause the baffles to deteriorate. If it's making a honking sound, chances are it's bad.

I only sprayed carb cleaner around outside of motor. If there was a vaccum leak somewhere, the carb cleaner would cause the motor to rev,even more when it is inhaled by the motor. These IAC must be alot different than some others.....When the IAC on our old explorer and my old mustang stuck shut....they were all carboned up, I cleaned both of them with carb cleaner....they ran fine for years after that.................guess that's neither here nor there, just wasn't aware that it would harm them. Thanks for the help guys!

Back