Loose wheel bearing???

joeman007a

Mechanic sais i have a loose left wheel bearing... i need to replace it but i hear they are different than normal car bearings....where do i get them, how do i replace it?
THanks. joe

Hey Joe, front or rear are we talking about ? If it's front, it's a sealed hub and bearing, held on with a big nut VERY tight. On the rear, it's a bearing that is pressed into the hub, which rides in the rear suspension knuckle. More work required to change that than the front. You should be able to get front or rear from the local parts store easily. The rear wheel bearing is actually the same as a front for a 1986-1995 Taurus or Sable !!

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Front or Rear?

For the front you must purchase a whole new hub and hub nut. Most auto parts stores sell the hubs (about $100 each), I've only seen the hub nuts (about $5 each) at Ford. The hub nut must be torqued to 250 ft/lbs.

On the rear the bearing can be pressed out of the knuckle after the hub is pressed out. These bearings are about $35 at auto stores. Same advice on the rear hub nuts, get new ones and same big torque applies.

The SCCoA main site has an article on replacing the rear hubs. The fronts are just a bolt on after removing the wheel, caliper and rotor.

SCCoA article on rear bearings:

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.html

Back