Got questions for guys with V-8's or big block SC's

unclenick

In order to fit a 351 block or bigger in the SC what crossmember have you guys used as most 351 blocks I have looked at has a 8 qt ft sump pan. I do not want to hack away at the ft crossmember on the SC and will shove a nasty V-8 in my bird. I have a deposit on a healthy V-8 from Roush.

I think you have to use the fox body dual sump pan. Look up Turbo351 (Wayne Ing) on the Ontario board and ask him.

The deep sump oil pan I had to use with the Dart block required major rework of the K-member and the motor still had to be raised an inch. :mad:

David

David, do you have any pics of your crossmember and how much had to be "cut away"? I have been on the phone with Roush 4 times today and they are a class act. The engine in question is a 402R and has a deep ft sump pan or dual pan but they say HP will drop when the dual sump is used also the dual sump pan they offer is too deep as well. Did you have to move your mounts foward? If so how much? Also there is some clearance issues with headers too.

fms-m-6670-a50_w.jpg

Like this?

Thanks David, Nick.

Last edited:
unclenick said:
David, do you have any pics of your crossmember and how much had to be "cut away"? I have been on the phone with Roush 4 times today and they are a class act. The engine in question is a 402R and has a deep ft sump pan or dual pan but they say HP will drop when the dual sump is used also the dual sump pan they offer is too deep as well. Did you have to move your mounts foward? If so how much? Also there is some clearance issues with headers too.

fms-m-6670-a50_w.jpg

Like this?

Thanks David, Nick.

I used a 302 block (like a tbird LX) and the motor mounts stayed in the same position front to back, but since the donor motor we took the brackets off was a 91 and my SC was a 93 the upper half of the mounts had to be reworked to mimic 93 mounts.

If the donor motor was a 93 no mod to the mounts would be required. Here are a couple pictures of the k-member rework. I don't really know what is required to get a 402 to fit. You can probably get those answers over on TCCoA.com

David

Attachments

• IM002552.JPG
    IM002552.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IM002549.JPG
    IM002549.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IM002550.JPG
    IM002550.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IM002551.JPG
    IM002551.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 67
  • IM002557.JPG
    IM002557.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 70
Here are a few more pics

David

Attachments

• IM002534.JPG
    IM002534.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IM002564.JPG
    IM002564.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IM002554.JPG
    IM002554.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IM002558.JPG
    IM002558.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 79
  • fuelhoses.JPG
    fuelhoses.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 68
thats going to be a nice tight squeeze. I seen some where i cannot remember where that someone had stuffed a 460 into a MN12 T-bird. I cant remember where i seen it though. I had a buddy that put a 351 w in a maverik, the headers almost touched the sides of the fender wells changing plugs in that thing is a bad b word.

Derek

Last edited:
unclenick said:
In order to fit a 351 block or bigger in the SC what crossmember have you guys used as most 351 blocks I have looked at has a 8 qt ft sump pan. I do not want to hack away at the ft crossmember on the SC and will shove a nasty V-8 in my bird. I have a deposit on a healthy V-8 from Roush.

If you go with a dual sump that is deeper than stock the back lip of the kmember will need to be cut some. Pretty sure the front sump pan will not work on our cars, though if you had the AJE kmember you would/should not have to do any cutting at all. You may even be able to use that front sump pan then too. Hopefully 392bird will chime in here because he can explain everything you would need to know better.

Dont forget the fact that you are very limited with headers. You will likely have to upgrade to a steering shaft from Flaming River otherwise its cast iron manifolds for you.

Shane

Back