PDA

View Full Version : BHJ balancer alternative progress report...

XR7 Dave
08-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Just wanted to let people know that there is a company currently working on the design for the balancer (both year styles). The OE units are being prototyped now and I will let you know when the final product is ready. This is very exciting news because we hope that the final cost will be less than 1/2 what the BHJ currently sells for. Wild guess puts the timeline at maybe 6mo. I'll keep everyone updated as I have news to report.

David

Jeremy_K
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll be in on that deal. Hopefully mine doesn't break before then!

Cobra85
08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Man, that's good news Dave. I'll definitly be in for one when they are ready.
Glenn

phyxius
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
same here i would go for one of those

rzibilske77
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
push the deal quicker..i need one ..lol :D

Mike8675309
08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Note the personal feeling is that I way appreciate BHJ for making something for our market. But if there is any product that could use some competition in this market it is the balancer.

One question, is anyone concerned or feeling a need for SFI certified parts like the balancer or flywheel?

haven't seen much discussion of such here.

rzimmerl
08-12-2005, 11:24 AM
to bad this wasnt sooner just payed 300 for a OE replacement last month

gldiii
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
David, you are a brave man posting this six months in advance! I wish you luck if it goes one second over six months! LOL

Mike, info on SFI balancers is here:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56423&highlight=sfi+balancer

I believe Paul worked with BHJ on getting that part developed.

XR7 Dave
08-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Mike, sad but true, the balancers you buy from BHJ could be SFI certified if BHJ had spent the money to get it done. The design is SFI capable. Unfortunately as it is the SFI balancer is useable on 94+ SC's only.

George, I realize that it is also possible that the balancers may never make it to production. However I think it is a good time to point out that there ARE companies out there who are interested in making parts for our cars. The recent introduction of the Professional Products 75MM TB for around $150 is an excellent example of a large company willing to do something for a niche market.

I have confidence that this company will come through for us. They are a large company and have the resources to make this happen. Patience is tough though!

SuperChicken89
08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
David... I know I can be patient! I only hope the SC can be just patient. It's people like you that are a true asset to this community!!!!!

Bryan

David Neibert
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Dave,

I hope it happens...because about as quickly as they are introduced, the BHJ prices will fall to remain competitive. So long as they are the only game in town, BHJ can pretty much charge whatever they want.

David

ricardoa1
08-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Not to sound ignorant, but can you guys explain the SFI part.
What makes balancer SFI approved

BT Motorsports
08-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Not to sound ignorant, but can you guys explain the SFI part.
What makes balancer SFI approved
About SFI (http://www.sfifoundation.com/about.html)
Also, the current non SFI balancers BHJ offers are not SFI capable which is why the 94+ style SFI unit is a different unit all together. If interest is expressed, I would be willing to get early style SFI units produced as well.I worked with BHJ for nearly 6 months to get the late style units designed produced and released but BHJ has said they can do the earlier style units much quicker. An SFI balancer is generally required for 10.99 or quicker ET. Not sure on the current rules which apply for the flywheel/Flexplate (fortunately, there are already SFI flexplates out there that fit our application, not sure on the flywheels though), you may just need an SFI sheild instead for the trans.

Paul

ricardoa1
08-12-2005, 08:44 PM
About SFI (http://www.sfifoundation.com/about.html)
Also, the current non SFI balancers BHJ offers are not SFI capable which is why the 94+ style SFI unit is a different unit all together. If interest is expressed, I would be willing to get early style SFI units produced as well.I worked with BHJ for nearly 6 months to get the late style units designed produced and released but BHJ has said they can do the earlier style units much quicker. An SFI balancer is generally required for 10.99 or quicker ET. Not sure on the current rules which apply for the flywheel/Flexplate (fortunately, there are already SFI flexplates out there that fit our application, not sure on the flywheels though), you may just need an SFI sheild instead for the trans.

Paul
Paul thanks for the link, But I really want to know the differences on the items here that makes one SFI approved. Is it strength, machining, construction or dimensions?

BT Motorsports
08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Paul thanks for the link, But I really want to know the differences on the items here that makes one SFI approved. Is it strength, machining, construction or dimensions?
In the case of the BHJ unit, the SFI balancer is all billet unlike the standard BHJ SC units which are billet and cast. The part has been tested to meet SFI specifications, usually by SFI (http://www.sfifoundation.com/labstory.html). So to answer your question, strength, design, construction and material all play a significant role in SFI approval.

Paul

sizemoremk
01-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Any news Mr. Dalke???

XR7 Dave
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
The prototypes are not complete. They are definitely coming but I can give no release date yet. I expect it to be sometime this spring.

7birdslater
01-14-2006, 12:17 PM
I hope this happens, we need a balancer for the masses (that doesnt cost as much as 3 5.0 mustang balancers!)

XxSlowpokexX
01-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Now only if it was as light as a factory unit!

mduralia
01-29-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a 94 SC. From what I have read here and at http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=18151&highlight=bhj+balancer there is an alternative to the BHJ Harmonic Balancer!

So...

Are they available?
Where can I get one?
Will I need a 0 balance pulley?

Thanks!

seawalkersee
01-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Soooo...how much?

Chris

BT Motorsports
01-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I have a 94 SC. From what I have read here and at http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=18151&highlight=bhj+balancer there is an alternative to the BHJ Harmonic Balancer!

So...

Are they available?
Where can I get one?
Will I need a 0 balance pulley?

Thanks!
The thread you have linked to is for the SFI approved late style SC balancer from BHJ, not from an "alternative" company. I worked with BHJ in getting these made and Tom later placed an order which had them put into a production run. I believe a total of 6 or 7 pieces in total were produced. You would not want to run one of these on a relatively stock engine as they are heavier than the standard BHJ unit.

Paul

mduralia
01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
The thread you have linked to is for the SFI approved late style SC balancer from BHJ, not from an "alternative" company. I worked with BHJ in getting these made and Tom later placed an order which had them put into a production run. I believe a total of 6 or 7 pieces in total were produced. You would not want to run one of these on a relatively stock engine as they are heavier than the standard BHJ unit.

Paul

Thanks for clearing that up Paul. I went to your website. Do you still carry the "standard" version for the 1994-95 models? What is the current price? Will I need to rebalance my pully? Do you think I need the BHJ model or could I just do an OEM replacement? I do not race my SC...but do not want to break anything when I "step" on it after 123k miles.

xThunderbirdSCx
01-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Any more updates Dave? Im gonna hold off on the BHJ for one of these. Hopefully mine wont fail by then. :o

Randy N Connie
01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I am looking for a new lighter balancer.
The BHJ balancer's weight is to high.

I may go back to stock before buying
another BHJ. for my new motor.

I forgot ,but I think the BHJ balancer
weight is 7lbs more than stock.

Randy

BT Motorsports
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I am looking for a new lighter balancer.
The BHJ balancer's weight is to high.

I may go back to stock before buying
another BHJ. for my new motor.

I forgot ,but I think the BHJ balancer
weight is 7lbs more than stock.

Randy
For the record, early BHJ units weigh 3 067 grams or 6.76157758 pounds
Late BHJ units weigh 3469.6 grams or 7.649 lbs.

mduralia, please contact me via email or PM.

Paul

Tory Smith
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
My ears have perked up... I am about two weeks from buying a new balancer... preferably a BHJ but who knows...

Just wondering though... with the price they charge can't they throw in the longer crank bolt?? It would take some of the pain outa searchin for one and make the install that much easier. plus assure that the purchaser is getting the longer needed bolt so the threads are not stripped.

scbird1
02-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Wouldn`t it be nice if you could send in your pully with your money and have it -o- ballanced with the ballancer to make it a complete bolt on? or would that be to easy? It just seems you can`t trust the joe blow shop in your town to do anything right.

seawalkersee
02-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I will ask this again....HOW FRIGGIN MUCH? I need ta know so I can save my pennies and dimes.

Chris

White Lightning
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Chris, Ya ever get the feelin' you was bein' ignored?????? Oooohhhhhh! I just hate when folks won't answer ya!!!! cheers and beers, W.L.

XR7 Dave
02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry guys, there is no pricing or availability update available yet. The company has us listed in their catalog but until the product comes back from prototyping they have nothing more to tell us.

I do know that there will be one balancer for all SC's with the 94/95's getting an adapter for the crank sensor. This will reduce the cost of the balancers as only one will need to be built.

My original post said "wild guess is 6mo" and it has been just barely 6 mo since I posted this so it's not way overdue yet. :)

seawalkersee
02-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Nahhh...I make enough noise that they can not ignore me.

Chris

Young-SC-Owner
03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
hopefully there done soon just found out some grim news i need a new H/b

Scour_king
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Anymore news on how the prototypes faired. I am holding off buying the BHJ I just cant come off that much money. Mines factory right now and has 150k on it. I will park it and wait if the balancer fails.

Sharon Silver
04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I googled professional products and found SFX. They list a TB for a SC but it doesn't give a size. It is also quite more than $150. Is this their special product for us?

22lbsofboost
04-20-2006, 09:22 PM
the pro products balancer my friend just bought for his 302 about 2 months ago just slung apart on his customer. didnt hurt the motor he shut it right down.

those a holes from TCI never called me back. its time to make another call

Mike8675309
04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I googled professional products and found SFX. They list a TB for a SC but it doesn't give a size. It is also quite more than $150. Is this their special product for us?

Is this in the wrong thread? Here is professional products. Contact them for the name of a dealer to buy from. They are 75mm.
http://www.professional-products.com/

charged92
05-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Any news on these balancers?

ipeefreely
06-10-2006, 09:17 PM
To The Top :D

:)

XR7 Dave
06-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Talked with the company yesterday and they informed me that the "blueprints have been approved" which means that production will begin soon. Unfortunately I think that means sometime next fall or winter. But the good news is that they are still working on it.

seawalkersee
06-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Will these fit a 4.2 pickem up engine too?

Chris

XR7inWI
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Talked with the company yesterday and they informed me that the "blueprints have been approved" which means that production will begin soon. Unfortunately I think that means sometime next fall or winter. But the good news is that they are still working on it.

Nice to hear Dave. Thanx for the update and for stayin on top of this. We DEFINATELY need this new balancer. :cool:

ipeefreely
06-11-2006, 03:53 PM
That's great! :)

Thanks for the hard work Dave! :D

Jay

Ryan A Harris
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Dave for your work on this. Once you do get them, and know the price I'll be getting one for my new(est) 95.:D

XR7 Dave
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Not much "hard work" involved, just a lot of waiting. :cool:

seawalkersee
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Soooooooooo...hows the waiting going? Any news?

Chris