BHJ balancer alternative progress report...

XR7 Dave

Just wanted to let people know that there is a company currently working on the design for the balancer (both year styles). The OE units are being prototyped now and I will let you know when the final product is ready. This is very exciting news because we hope that the final cost will be less than 1/2 what the BHJ currently sells for. Wild guess puts the timeline at maybe 6mo. I'll keep everyone updated as I have news to report.

David

Note the personal feeling is that I way appreciate BHJ for making something for our market. But if there is any product that could use some competition in this market it is the balancer.

One question, is anyone concerned or feeling a need for SFI certified parts like the balancer or flywheel?

haven't seen much discussion of such here.

Mike, sad but true, the balancers you buy from BHJ could be SFI certified if BHJ had spent the money to get it done. The design is SFI capable. Unfortunately as it is the SFI balancer is useable on 94+ SC's only.

George, I realize that it is also possible that the balancers may never make it to production. However I think it is a good time to point out that there ARE companies out there who are interested in making parts for our cars. The recent introduction of the Professional Products 75MM TB for around $150 is an excellent example of a large company willing to do something for a niche market.

I have confidence that this company will come through for us. They are a large company and have the resources to make this happen. Patience is tough though!

David... I know I can be patient! I only hope the SC can be just patient. It's people like you that are a true asset to this community!!!!!

Bryan

Dave,

I hope it happens...because about as quickly as they are introduced, the BHJ prices will fall to remain competitive. So long as they are the only game in town, BHJ can pretty much charge whatever they want.

David

ricardoa1 said:
Not to sound ignorant, but can you guys explain the SFI part.
What makes balancer SFI approved
About SFI
Also, the current non SFI balancers BHJ offers are not SFI capable which is why the 94+ style SFI unit is a different unit all together. If interest is expressed, I would be willing to get early style SFI units produced as well.I worked with BHJ for nearly 6 months to get the late style units designed produced and released but BHJ has said they can do the earlier style units much quicker. An SFI balancer is generally required for 10.99 or quicker ET. Not sure on the current rules which apply for the flywheel/Flexplate (fortunately, there are already SFI flexplates out there that fit our application, not sure on the flywheels though), you may just need an SFI sheild instead for the trans.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
About SFI
Also, the current non SFI balancers BHJ offers are not SFI capable which is why the 94+ style SFI unit is a different unit all together. If interest is expressed, I would be willing to get early style SFI units produced as well.I worked with BHJ for nearly 6 months to get the late style units designed produced and released but BHJ has said they can do the earlier style units much quicker. An SFI balancer is generally required for 10.99 or quicker ET. Not sure on the current rules which apply for the flywheel/Flexplate (fortunately, there are already SFI flexplates out there that fit our application, not sure on the flywheels though), you may just need an SFI sheild instead for the trans.

Paul
Paul thanks for the link, But I really want to know the differences on the items here that makes one SFI approved. Is it strength, machining, construction or dimensions?

ricardoa1 said:
Paul thanks for the link, But I really want to know the differences on the items here that makes one SFI approved. Is it strength, machining, construction or dimensions?
In the case of the BHJ unit, the SFI balancer is all billet unlike the standard BHJ SC units which are billet and cast. The part has been tested to meet SFI specifications, usually by SFI (http://www.sfifoundation.com/labstory.html). So to answer your question, strength, design, construction and material all play a significant role in SFI approval.

Paul

The prototypes are not complete. They are definitely coming but I can give no release date yet. I expect it to be sometime this spring.

Back