Running warm, AC Condenser?

joker12552

My s/c is running warmer than I would really like it to. Typically it runs around the r or m, but sometimes it creeps up past the m a bit. It has never went all the way to the red though. Everything in the cooling system has been replaced, the water pump, a 180 thermostat, and now a new radiator.

I was wondering if the a/c condenser being messed up (alot of bent up fins in front of both the radiator and ic) could cause the radiator to not get enough airflow, thus causing the car to run on the warm side. I liave in Alabama, and we have been having some really hot humid days lately so I know that doesnt help any but wondering what else I could look at in order to get the car running a little more on the cool side.

i think the hottest my 90 got with clogged cats AND 195 THEMOSTAT with ac on climbing penn view mountaIN IT HIT M ON A 95 DEGREE DAY and im sure its running ok it was just hot out my 89 without air and cooler thermostat wont even hit halfway unless i stop at a bunch of redlights

When was the last time you replaced your condenser or back washed it?
(it is front of the rad, and could be blocking airflow)

I recently replaced the temp gauge sensor, ECT, & ACT. And the temp gauge in the car reads much higher.
I bought a infared temp gun, and now touching 'N' is 180 and touching 'M' is 212

sail7seas said:
When was the last time you replaced your condenser or back washed it?
(it is front of the rad, and could be blocking airflow)

I recently replaced the temp gauge sensor, ECT, & ACT. And the temp gauge in the car reads much higher.
I bought a infared temp gun, and now touching 'N' is 180 and touching 'M' is 212
I have never replaced the a/c condenser, or back washed it. I have only had the car for a month or two now.. The condenser fins are pretty screwed up looking, that is the reason I was wondering if it being messed up could have a negative effect on the radiator efficiency.

I'd go to the plumbing supply house and get some coil cleaning solution and thoroughly wash the condensor & radiator. Then you can buy one of the combs (auto or plumbing store) and straighten a lot of the fins. Many times if you have a small refrigerant leak in the condensor the oil that escapes will pick-up a lot of dirt and you'll see a "mucky" patch on the face of the condensor.

Back