Random hard brake peddal

pony281

The pump motor runs & I replaced the accumalater. The brakes :confused: work fine & then the peddle gets hard to push down & both the brake light & antilock light come on. Then if you shut the car off & restart the pump runs & the brake are fine for a while. What does this mean?

Maybe its a random ABS brake sensor like the pressure sensor craping out on you but I dont know. Got any air in your brake lines?

Shane

I know folks try to be helpful, but jeeze.... :rolleyes:

Do a forum search on ABS relay and read up. I don't mind typing, but this topic has come up just too many times to go into details anymore. ;)

typical ABS related discussion

If that doesn't fix it, check out the ABS pressure switch.

Last edited:
Before you do any of that, pull your column cover off and check you ignition switch. If it looks like its separating, replace it. You will need to get a torx security bit set to change it. Does your accessories work when your brakes quit working? If they don't, then it is your switch.
Had these same symptoms plagued my car.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

:rolleyes: I have read the book so much I am turning Ford Blue It is likley the pessure switch. I will check the ignition switch also it is loose with the key out & sticks with the key in.

Back